NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DSLR LENS

recceranger

Yes, I also vouch for the Tokina; really wanting to save up for one this year. Or a prime lens in the same price bracket.

Found this fantastic article on lens choices when it comes to astrophotography;

http://petapixel.com/2014/01/29/picking-great-lens-milky-way-photography/

There is a  link in the article which takes you to a spreadsheet of lenses ideal for the job; it is important to read the article first.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AomVJ2lbrwb1dDRGeHJOaVZfYnlFR2ZDTFNlSnk2emc&usp=sharing#gid=2

You can get the Samyang 14mm f2.8 for around £260.

As always you can get it cheaper on e-bay but you have no idea who you are buying from. Peace of mind from a reputable dealer is worth a few extra quid ;)

• 11 months later...

You can get the Samyang 14mm f2.8 for around £260.

As always you can get it cheaper on e-bay but you have no idea who you are buying from. Peace of mind from a reputable dealer is worth a few extra quid ;)

Many people seem return the first one or two examples of Samyang lenses that they get due to poorly aligned optics, Can anyone recommend dealers who give speedy, no hassle exchanges?

Check out Expedite electronics,they ship from Hong Kong I think but are a joint UK company.

I got my Samyang 10mm with considerable saving off them.They also have a UK number to ring if any problems.

My order took 7 days to arrive.

More than happy.

Kenny

For any lens used for MW landscapes you need as fast a lens as you can afford.

The perceived best out there at the moment is the Samyang / Rokinon / Bower 24mm 1.4. priced around £500 new.

I have a Samyang 14mm 2.8 and although lovely and wide, I want faster.

There is also a Sigma 20mm 1.4 ART coming out or maybe it is by now, but that's approaching £800 or so.

Archived