NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from Newbury

jefrs

Hi, I'm jefrs and I'm now a retired physicist-engineer; radiological metrologist, measuring photons and other radiations, calibrating such instruments.

My wife has been a book astronomer forever so I got her a Celestron for Christmas. Naturally I get to set it up, boring. But she'd like remote control on it ... That will be more difficult and take time.

One of my other hobbies is photography (since about 5yo), so I immediately start thinking astrophotography having recently shot the Orion Nebula with a 500mm on M4/3 (1000mm FoV) and got star trails, oops.

linky thing (it's not really here, this is a thumbnail) P1110400cropt OrionsNebula

• 3 weeks later...

Hello and welcome to SGL!

Yep, got your whole flickr account, are you one of the band members or a groupie?! :D

Player since 10yo and photographer since 5yo :-)

Not sure which hobby costs most.

Astronomy since whenever, I actually remember Sputnik.

Being a professional physicist has had a few privileges: I got to meet both Bernard Lovell and Fred Hoyle, separately of course ;-)

When I post a link to a photo on Flickr, it does not usually re-direct the reader to my entire photostream, weird but unable to correct that, oops ;-)

Hi there and welcome to SGL. Being not too far away myself you should be aware of the Newbury Astronomy Society who I'm sure will also help out if you pop along and see them. 

Yes I do know them though not formally a member except on their FB page.

Didn't they used to meet at the Thatcham Disco Centre, they seem to have moved to Greenham?

Spotted a beginner's meet on 21rd Jan ... (and the retired member's fee :-)   )

Thanks

Archived