Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, that's-that! Clouds have scuppered any chance of catching any Geminid photons tonight. Just trawled through every picture I took this evening hoping I may of accidentally caught one.  Sadly, the nearest I came were several pictures of aircraft navigation lights (which look promising when viewed as thumbnails) - Still, there's always tomorrow?

Been a great night down South and should stay clear till 4am. I have 2 Watec 910HX running in conjunction with UFO capture software. The count so far is almost 600 confirmed meteors detected. I'll process the captures later today and find out how many meteors were true Geminids.  Still 3hrs of clear sky to go so the count should be  more.

Meteors falling like rain here. I even have multiple meteors on quite a few frames.

I set the scopes up at dusk and have been in and out every half an hour for the past 10 hours hoping that the BBC and Clear Outside forecasts would prove to be accurate.

I got some fabulous views of clouds all evening :embarassed:

Wonderful night down here, I was out until 4! Hard ice on my scope and condensation freezing on the metal obs walls. Perhaps 25+ meteors, mostly quite feint with 4 brighter - one of which seemed to end in a flash and puff of smoke. I wasn't really trying, but enjoyed the show in between runs on M42 and Jupiter.

Lovely and clear here last night so I saw some great examples. My wife decided to come and have a look too and the best of the bunch flew past within 5 seconds of her stepping outside so she stood and watched for much longer than she had intended and was rewarded with two more within few minutes.

Well the results are in. 2 Watec 910HX cameras running.

Cam1 2.6mm f1.0 lens facing SSW..FOV 117deg....582 meteors captured....459 are Geminids

Cam2 6mm f0.8 lens facing NNW....FOV 53deg.....618 meteors captured....440 are Geminids.

I have a slight overlap to the West so a small number of these may have been caught by both cams, but overall, a good result.

Here are the meteor plots for both cams. The bright yellow bars are the meteors path.

SSW cam.

post-25425-0-58521400-1418562882_thumb.j

NNW cam.

post-25425-0-06540000-1418562941_thumb.j

out between 00:00 and 02:15 in the Isle of Wight (got home late and looks like I missed the main show).

Grass cunchy and frosty underfoot, sky clear and moon quite low until later on but still only 4 seen.

(Two corkers with trails).

I also did a bit of DSO work with the scope so I may well have missed a few, and came in when Gemini was passing

to the SSSSSSSSSSS-W.

Mick

An amazing collection of data there!

I was out from about 12.30 to 2.40 in my light-polluted London garden, and was delighted by the number of geminids on show.  Like others, I did distract myself with some photography (who can resist M42 and the Pleiades on a clear crisp night?) but saw between 20 and 30, some of them good and bright, comparable to nearby Jupiter.  Are Geminids generally quite slow?  I was struck by how easy it was to spot them and follow them with direct vision, whereas when I've been out looking for Perseids, they've gone in a flash and are oftern only half-seen.

Archived