Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Greetings from VA!

Scorpius

Just wanted to stop by and say hi and thank you guys for the opportunity to join SGL. This seems to be one of the friendlier forums around which is great for those of us new to the hobby. I've stumbled across a few threads on other sites where the so called experts come down pretty hard on the OP's when they ask the inevitable newbie questions. Anyway, I've seen none of that here which is why I chose SGL over the others.

Just purchased an 8SE a few months ago and have been doing a lot of reading about the cosmos and technology now available to amateur astronomers. This is an amazingly interesting and complex hobby and the vast amount of info available on this site is invaluable to those of us who have more questions than we do answers.

Thanks again and clear skies to all...

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome Scorpius. You're right, this is the friendliest forum I've come across. The depth of experience and knowledge here is amazing, and all freely given. Just ask.

Good luck and clear skies.

Jason

Hi & Welcome to SGL.  We all have to start & learn & ask questions.  Have to admit most of the questions I was going to ask have already been covered on the forum.  Very friendly bunch.  Nice scope you have.

Hi and welcome.  Everyone is disgustingly nice on this forum and even if they are jealous of your scope (like me), they will offer advice and tips.

You mention that you're reading extensively.  The book that everyone here seems to rave about is "Turn left at Orion".  I've just got my copy, so I can't say how good it is yet (I've looked at the cover and gone "Oohhh!" but not opened it).  Another book I tried was "Astronomy for dummies" but I couldn't get on with it.  Fortunately, that one came from the local library so didn't cost me anything!

Hi and welcome to the forum. The only way to learn is to ask when the need arises. Lots of different sub forums to post in but if unsure, ask a question in the astro lounge and we will move it if necessary.

Clear skies and hope you enjoy your stay here.

James

Hi and welcome to the lounge,

We all had to start knowing next to nothing, and here in S G L you learn a lot very quickly,

I certainly have, and as they say here, there's no such thing as a stupid or silly question, so

ask away and be confident someone will know the answer, they normally do.

Good Luck and Clear Sky's

Just want to say I'm amazed by everyone's sincere welcome to SGL. I can easily see this is the place for me to begin learning this fascinating hobby they call amateur astronomy. By all accounts, the learning curve is steep but the rewards are worth the effort and I look forward to one day being able to offer some sound advice to the fellow members of this awesome group of "starry-eyed" individuals.

Oscar - you have confirmed my suspicions that SGL is the friendliest astronomy forum around because clearly - even the grouchiest folks around here are disgustingly nice *LOL*

Thanks to all for the warm welcome and I look forward to many enlightening discussions with the group as the wonders of the cosmos reveal their secrets to us all...

Thanks again and may your nights be always long and your skies be always clear!

Scorpius

Welcome to SGL, Scorpio!

Lovely place, the Shenandoah Valley!

Baseball fan?

Dana

Baseball? Not so much... Used to follow the Braves when they made the series and we've got a pretty good farm team here - try to catch a game every once in a while. Played little league when I was a kid though - they said I had a pretty good arm so does that earn me any points? :)

Sounds like you've been to the valley... What part? - I'm in Staunton where 64 crosses 81...

Archived