SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

"Hi" from a budding astronomer

marX

Hi guys :wave:

I'm Anthony from India. 

Currently, I'm working as a design engineer in a fabrication shop.

A brief history about myself:

I'm from India so you can expect how much pressure would be on a child to score high grades in school.....the competition was/is tough. But my dad loved science and always brought me books about almost every field of science amidst protests from mom lol :D. I always loved Astronomy and during school, my favourite subject was Physics & Astronomy. I don't know how much time I spent observing the celestial objects back in the day and of course, the shooting stars (my favourite  :grin: ). But as the time went on and the pressure to "succeed" increased, I (had to) lost all my childhood hobbies.

Now, after some frustrating years later, I'm trying to be that child again, going back to what I once were. 

And I need help !

So, I'm hoping to start from getting a decent 10x50 binoculars and I'm wondering is it right to ask questions about that kind of stuff here, in this thread or should I create a thread in the Bino subforum !

Anyways, nice to be here  :smiley:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Anthony and welcome to SGL - Glad that you are finally able to pursue the hobbies that you so enjoyed when you were younger. Pressure can be so destructive in so many different ways. Good on you :grin:

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Hello Anthony and welcome to SGL. There is a huge variety of astronomers here covering just about every field you care to mention.

Design, Engineer and Fabrication are three words that get the DIY (do it yourself) amonst us very excited. when you have a minute or two, have a look through the diy sections. theres some very clever people here.

Enjoy your stay :)

@

TumsC7tsjMr Spockpurdowookie1965cockneygingergeeksologuitarist61bunnygod1Floateravtaram

Thanks for the welcome  !

Hi Mark,

Welcome to SGL. Bins are an excellent start and allow portable 'grab and go' astronomy.
Good luck and clear skies.

Ben

Yeah, thats's what I'm thinking.

Hello and welcome. Binos will give you a chance to learn your way around the night sky so are a very good choice to start with

Roger that !

Heya Anthony and a warm welcome from Norway   :smiley: .

Rune

Norway !

I guess you guys have longer days and nights depending on the time of the year, right ?

It must be awesome !

Hi Anthony and welcome to SGL - Glad that you are finally able to pursue the hobbies that you so enjoyed when you were younger. Pressure can be so destructive in so many different ways. Good on you  :grin:

Look forward to seeing you around  :smiley:

Absolutely !

I crack easily under pressure :p

Its always nice to go back.

Thanks for the welcome.

Hi and welcome.

Peter

Thanks.

Hello Anthony and welcome to SGL. There is a huge variety of astronomers here covering just about every field you care to mention.

Design, Engineer and Fabrication are three words that get the DIY (do it yourself) amonst us very excited. when you have a minute or two, have a look through the diy sections. theres some very clever people here.

Enjoy your stay  :)

Yeah but I'm not that confident in my abilities at the optics though ! I had a try at cleaning my binos which ended up becoming a total disaster (lost collimation and I just couldn't get it back).

Welcome.. I have been Astronomizing for over 40 years....and every observing session is a treat... are there any Astronomy clubs in your area... or maybe You could start one... Enjoy...

Mark

Thats cool and no, there isn't any Astronomy club in my place but, there should be one at our district capital which is 20 km away.

Archived