NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Greetings from Northants, UK

satsumasalad

Hello everyone

Thought I would introduce myself while I'm hanging about waiting for clouds to pass.  Long story short, I've been a naked-eye astronomer for....20 years, but two years ago my now-deceased husband plumped for a Celestron CPC925, we didn't have much longer together but we did manage to catch some glorious sights of Jupiter's moons, and our moon, and looked forward to much more to come.

He is now able to see the stars from as close a distance as he likes, meanwhile I am getting to grips with using the telescope.  Between us we did not treat it well,it was left outside one snowy winter under a tarpaulin, last winter after again enjoying some very amateurish manual pointing and looking at the sky, I brought it in to the house.  I have now, finally, sourced some decent covers for it so it is back outside from this week and I would dearly like to get it fully functioning.

Because of its poor treatment (I think) I have issues with power.  I'm using a 12V DC battery pack which has always worked well until this year, but now it takes several minutes (approx 10) for the red light to come on the scope's power switch, and much much longer for the handheld control to light up.  I have checked Facebook, my email, played a little 2048, signed up here, validated, and written this much and still my handheld is not lit.  It will light eventually, I have been through this cycle twice tonight.  It feels as though there is an absolutely flat internal battery that needs a little charge before it can light its own switch, and more charge before it can light the handheld.  Could this be right?  If I align the scope it stays put for approx 20 seconds and then slews around for several minutes before stopping again.  I have read elsewhere on this forum that power issues can provoke these symptoms.

I have never been confident of the alignment process especially as I am in suburban back garden with the house occluding the view to the south, a large ancient oak tree at NW and the north horizon bedecked with streetlights about half a mile away.  To the east I have a neighbour's house.  Alignment objects aren't very thick on the ground, if you'll pardon the expression.  This time of year is particularly difficult with the ecliptic at its lowest and, of course, behind my house :(  however I usually have reliable access to Arcturus and Capella, positioning means Vega is difficult to see in the scope but I should be able to find a third star.  However I am not clear about the process and wonder if you would clarify for me:

* How do I know if the GPS data is downloaded?  Is it simply a question of leaving the scope powered on for half an hour or is there something else to do?

* Once I power down, is the GPS data kept or do I need to download again?

* If I ever get aligned, is the alignment remembered or must it be done each time even if the scope hasn't moved?

* Given the scope isn't going to be moved, should I hibernate each time or should I power right down, and is there a process to do that or just turn off the switch?

Think I've taken too much of your time for one post, thanks for reading this far.  I welcome any advice you have to give, on the above questions and/or the power issue.

Looking forward to this very much, am prepared to put in the time and necessary cash to get this right

satsuma

p.s. handheld still not lit :(

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Satsuma, Welcome to the Forum, unfortunately , I'm not familiar with your scope and it's Issues, but I'm quite sure someone will be able to Help you out.

So for now Welcome along on this Stargazing Journey, and I hope you get sorted out soon, and we ALL get some clear skies. ;)

Hi Satsuma and welcome to SGL - This is a great place with loads of information and friendly folks. I'm sure that someone will make some suggestions soon about your issues. Sadly it's not my forte! As said though, you could post the questions specifically in the appropriate part of the forum and I'm sure you'd get some answers.

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Hi Satsuma and welcome to SGL. As has been recommended, you should be better off addressing your concerns over the use of the CPC 925 in other sections of the forum, I hope you are soon able to resolve the issues with the scope :)

Archived