Hi from Plymouth, UK

ghetuning

Good Evening Guys,

New to the forum and looking at photographing the Milky Way this summer. I'm hoping that all the relevant information will be on here!

I will us the search function but does anyone know when's the best time to try and photograph it in the UK? I'm planning on heading up to Dartmoor to do it so should be dark enough!

Looking forward to gathering all the info!

Gareth

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Gareth, welcome to SGL ( I used to live just over the Tamar Bridge in Cornwall; worked in Plymouth........miss it a lot!).........enjoy the forum; lots of helpful people here to help and guide one in the right direction. :smiley: 

Welcome Gareth,

In answer to your question Winter is best, we are very close to the solstice so it's not getting very dark.

Local midnight will be 01:16 where you are (need to correct for BST and longitude). Check if it looks dark enough at that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum. The early Autumn is probably the best time for imaging the Milky Way, as its brightest regions are still visible but the skies are darker. At this time of year the atmosphere is still lit up well after the Sun sets and before it rises. For example, I took this short exposure just before 11:00PM last night.

14361598811_c269e74867_c.jpg

If you're imaging on Dartmoor then it's best to stay well away from Princetown, it's the largest source of light pollution on the moor. Best of luck with the Milky Way imaging. :)

Archived