Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Second light with QHY5L-II colour

Andy Milner

Just my second night with my new QHY5L-II colour cam.

Seeing was ok and I used the following;

200p 8" Newtonian reflector

Skywatcher 3x barlow

Firecapture, PIPP, AutoStakkert 2, Registax 6, PS CS2.

Mars was just 40% of 4000 frames as I only had a few minutes on it as it was disappearing behind trees.

Saturn was 60% of 12000 frames.

Hope you like? I'm just starting out. Only starting using a telescope in February. Lots of reading and soaking up info from this forum. Love this hobby!

Mars

http://flic.kr/p/nHBnzA.

Saturn

http://flic.kr/p/nHAzT5

Apologies if the black background may look a bit rough, I'm still learning processing.

Andy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A good start! :)

It's really easier to just post your images as either .png's or .jpg's Andy imho.....that way folks can see them straight away & especially if you post .png's there's no thought that some of these sites do things to the images! :)

Not suggesting Flickr do this to files (have nfi) but the first Mars link didn't work & I reckon folks like to see images in threads rather than have to go to another site tbh.....maybe different if it was a huge scale or very large file but none of the images we see in the planetary image are like that...

But again, a good effort! :)

Thanks for advice on using PNG files for uploading on internet. I have converted the Mars image to PNG and uploaded here, also had a go at re-processing Mars in Registax 6. Do you think I have revealed more detail with the re-process?

Thanks,

Andy

post-32706-0-74145700-1401445912_thumb.p

post-32706-0-79299600-1401445953_thumb.p

and here is Saturn uploaded as PNG, and with a re-process. Do you think I have over processed or revealed more detail. I think it looks better. For the data I had, this is as good as I can probably get.

post-32706-0-01539000-1401446428.png

post-32706-0-98577400-1401446448.png

Looking good Andy! Looks like Mars could do with auto RGB align in registax.

Thanks for advice on using PNG files for uploading on internet. I have converted the Mars image to PNG and uploaded here, also had a go at re-processing Mars in Registax 6. Do you think I have revealed more detail with the re-process?

Thanks,

Andy

By the way RGB Align works well with Saturn, however for some reason when I tried RGB Align with Mars it created a more brighter orangey look, which turned the Ice cap orange too. So instead I played with the colour balance and mixer instead.

Thanks guys! Could I ask advice from anyone on my scopes ability to use a higher power Barlow or Powermate?

I own and use a 3x Skywatcher barlow which I'm quite happy with however is like to invest in a Powermate. I hear they are cracking pieces of optics. My scope is a 8" SW 200p F5 Newtonian. I'm looking at the Televue Powermate x4 which is a 2" with 1.25" adaptor included. Which has an optional adaptor to attach DSLR too. I could use my QHY5L or my Canon 1100d. Or should I plump for a 5x version which is only 1.25" I believe but if the scope will handle it well, I guess I will need the best viewing conditions to make it useful. So I'm in two minds which to get? I'm probably going for the 4x powermate as I could also add extension tubes to increase mag too? Is this correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived