Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Welcome to Stargazers Lounge

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customise your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

rodrigol

Advanced Members
  • Content count

    355
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

208 Excellent

About rodrigol

  • Rank
    Star Forming
  • Birthday

Profile Information

  • Location
    Saffron Walden
  1. My Fatboy's first trip to the obsy!
  2. So things have been moving very slowly since last. The shed is now a different color by demand from the garden manager and permits authority. To control the temperature inside better I've installed two vent for approx. £4 as I got the materials for free :-) And I've got to do something about the roof. It does get hot in there.... and off course, the more I do, the more the weather does not let me do what I want to do. It's been awful for 3 weeks!
  3. In order to make the roof as lightweight as possible for me to lift and put back I designed this little elastic "pulley" system, which seems to do the job quite well. No more "huffing&puffing!
  4. Thanks for the comments! womvb: I think you are right the (boring) trails on the Flame and Horse Head image are satellites. I'm learning to use PI and the learning curve is steep and long. I need to check for a tutorial on DBE but if you can provide a pointer that would be much appreciated!
  5. Clear skies and on an Saturday! These are early samples of shots taken from my new obsy. So far, so good. I've used an unmodified D7200 on a SWED80. All taken at ISO 200 and all shots are 45 second exposures except for bias images. Everything was stacked and processed in PI and a little PS for measure. The Flame and Horsehead shot has meteor, which I like, so I left the shot with it in the integration. Maybe I'll take it away later. This is my second image of the Flame and Horsehead and my first of the Rosette and. My mount aiming is not good at the moment so I've ended up going lefty on this one. My best of the Pleiades, so far. Got quite a bit of the Merope nebula this time. Thanks for watching :-) I appreciate any comment you may have.
  6. Awesome! And a lot of useful information getting exchanged here as well :-) Thanks!
  7. Some more progress to report: Additional strengthening of the wall's roof brace and closing of the gaps is now done. A couple of experimental improvements: A wooden bar to brace the swing arms together helps with the stability of the design. The most important experimental improvement is: A couple of elastic straps attached to the bottom of the swing arms and ground on each side of the obsy and voila: Opening the roof is really easy! I'm looking for a more permanent solution although these work really well. Maybe I don't need the bricks anymore?
  8. And here are M42, M43 and the Running Man nebula. 30s x 19L x 8D x 9O at ISO 500 on D7200 and SWED80.
  9. Sorry - you are absolutely right! Now I'm mortified!
  10. Just wanted to share my first attempt at the Horsehead and Flame (edit) in Orion. Not good but the weather alone, wind and setting made it really hard to get this far. The worst was when the counter weight on the mount slipped down making the whole business of taking picture a little nightmare. This is the result of 20 Light at 30 sec + darks and offset using a D7200 + DS stacker and PI and PSon my SWED80. It's my first "horsehead and Flame man" but I'm a little bit happy but realise that the ISO was too high (500), it's grainy and colour crazy.
  11. awesome image!
  12. FIrst Quarter Moon 06/02/2017. SWED80 + ASI290MC 9000 frames stacked in AS!2 and finished in PS.
  13. A bit more progress in the last few days: With my eldest son from Norway, we've stained the shed and sorted out small gaps in the roof with with silicone. The dehumidifier works wonders (highly recommended), so I've dispensed with the heater for the time being. I've got a solar ventilator (extractor) cheap on ebay that ensures the temperature stays close to ambient inside. This is the inside at the moment. I did have a go with the moon at first quarter over the weekend. It's a joy not to have to put up with lights from the house or the neighbors as well as being protected from the humid breeze. This is the 'office'. I'm considering putting a thin roof over....This project just goes on forever! But heck! I'm enjoying it :-)
  14. Testing stuff in my new - half built - obsy, with my son Michael(!). First quarter moon (SWED80 + ASI 290MC - 3 x 30s AVIs, joined in PIPP and stacked in AS!2 and rotated in PS).
  15. I've managed to get my SWED80 on the mount and did a full setup. Polar Master aligned the mount (great stuff the PM) and reconfirmed with Starsense. But now it is cold and I'm having an rcd tripping issue. I will not plug the mount until I find and isolate the problem.