Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

sky at night on tonight

callump

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking exactly the same about the lack of comments.

Saw it last week or weekend and expected something to be posted.

Complete silence however. :eek: :eek:.

I do wonder if the lack of comment speaks louder then anything.

Was something on the S@N forum, best described as not complimentry.

I saw it. It was based at the Brecon star camp. Cloudy so the programme was very bitty. I think for half an hour they stretch the content pretty thin to try and appeal to all levels. It's just my view but it doesn't work too well. At least it's still running.

It is for me becomming one of those that if I see it or not I do not think I will have missed much.

This one didn't catch my attention at all.

Actually it finished and I had the feeling that I hadn't bothered, and I probably watched less the half of it.

The program only really gets mentioned here as there is no mention of it on the BBC.

Chris is trying to keep it interesting but I feel he is being shackled all the time.

Sorry to say but if MAP stays on then I will watch it only if I happen to fall across it and it looks of interest. When will someone realise that I can follow and understand a complete sentence in English and that it does not need to chopped into 3 or 4 word bites. I am not that stupid and slow.

I assume the intention is that her company swallows or produces it and it becomes orientated to a children level program.

Wonder when the BBC will understand that many people out here are not children, may have an education and have some knowledge/experience.

Chris is trying to keep it interesting but I feel he is being shackled all the time.

Sorry to say but if MAP stays on then I will watch it only if I happen to fall across it and it looks of interest. When will someone realise that I can follow and understand a complete sentence in English and that it does not need to chopped into 3 or 4 word bites. I am not that stupid and slow.

Couldn't agree more

It seems to me that the problem is not about the individual presenters, but the present day fashion of "two-presenter ping-pong". Practically every "non-fiction" programme to be seen nowadays is run on this principle, and this would seem to be regarded as essential by programmers/directors/producers. It is long past the time for this particularly annoying device to have run it's course. If most segments were given by a single individual, with possibly one segment being a "round the table" discussion I for one would be delighted.

I know I must be weird ... But I like her ... If you close your eyes and picture Patrick Moore, but younger, blacker and girlier ... ;-)

She's nothing like Patrick. She may be clever, she may be enthusiastic, she may be a talented space scientist but in my opinion she is an ineffective TV presenter who doesn't .......appear......... to have.......a clue ......how to talk...... to a TV........ audience. It's painful to watch and detracts from what was an excellent astronomy programme.

Yes, it could be argued that she comes across as somewhat excentric and it that way could be vaguely compared to Patrick but he was an engaging talented fascinating teacher/broadcaster who could speak unscripted and with authority and pitched his delivery at exactly the right level much of the time.

If they wanted a female co-presenter (and why not) why not continue with Lucie Green or employ Helen Czerski both of seem so better suited to the job. As I have commented previously, there was no reason to radically change the S@N as it had continued after we lost Patrick.

I expect the producers keep telling her she is doing a good job presenting whereas it feels as though it is very difficult for her, it's a shame as she seems like a nice person and her knowledge and qualifications are beyond question, as a contributor she would be fine but not as the main presenter 

I had high hopes for this one. Thought, finally, they're out under the stars and not all professional astronomy news. But alas, didn't last long. I know clouds paid a part... but, they only seemed to want to explain how a sphere becomes a sphere... not what beautiful sights you can see and enjoy. Pete Lawrence's what you can see felt rushed and almost a tag on. I turned off before the end, I was losing interest fast. 30 minutes is alright, if it is interesting. 20 minutes with Patrick Moore felt about the right length, unless something utterly fascinating was the subject.

Still not liking the format or the silly music that appears in the program after every section. I loved the old way of doing things. Sir Patrick had such interesting guests on, and the balance of news, interviews and outside reports worked. Not liking the ping pong of two main presenters. I must say, I was more a fan of Dr Lucie Green and Chris Lintott doing it.

Like others have said, if I come across it, I may watch it. But I no longer know which Sunday it is on, nor do I seek it out.

I find I start watching it full of expectation - then get up to make a cup of tea half way through and don't bother to go back to it cos it's just not holding my interest any more. I gave up on the "sphere" segment this time. And I agree with what's been said about the "ping pong" thing - a bit more reminiscent of the Gadget Show which does my head in with all the "flashing about" photography and sound bites that go in one ear and out the other.

The content is watered down, the newer presenters lack lasting appeal, the broadcasting style leaves a lot to be desired, and whilst the old programme needed a little lift, I just can't see why they had to change it so much. I much preferred it when it was educational and stimulating with more substantial content.

I know they have to provide something that appeals to the great unwashed in the name of viewing figures - but that doesn't mean they have to take a good thing and muzzle it for the more intent viewer. :icon_confused:

My feeling is along the line that last night after S@N was the last of 4 (I think 4) programs about the earths annual journey around the sun. There was more astonomical information in that then in S@N.

Kate Humble and Helen Czerski did a good job of presenting a program to literate, intelligent people who are/were expected to have an interest and perhaps some prior knowledge. You are given numbers and values to use (agreed not many but they were there), a sentence is not clipped into sound bites. S@N is no longer doing this, yet the people that own £1000 of astro equipment tend to have some idea and are not dumb. And £1000 in astronomy total is easy and in reality lowish.

General feeling is if it returned to an adult program with Chris Lintott and Lucie Green, both good physicists and it was specifically aimed at the aduld/experienced side it would carry on for years again. But using a previous term as a CBBC level program is fails miserably. Maybe ironic but children look at Youtube for this stuff these days, so if the BBC want a program like this then maybe they have to go for the adult side.

Archived