Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mars, clearly showing Elysium Mons!

Barv

Hi Guys.

Here's another one from the night of the 29th which  clearly shows the peak of Elysium Mons. Hopefully we'll get some decent seeing again before it gets too late!

Comments welcome as always.

Regards

Harvey

post-32779-0-66403400-1399230792_thumb.p

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How are you all getting the image so large and distortion free? I also have a 11" EdgeHD but use a Mallincam Extreme and my images are very small.

The ZWO cameras have smaller pixels than the Mallincam I think. (ZWO's being 3.75 microns across). This would no doubt increase your image scale. Still seeing and good transparency is also important. (something we don't get much of in the UK). Once you get all these the image can be enlarged also.

Regards

Harvey

Thanks for the replies, Was not trying to hijack the thread I am just starting out, I do not have a CCD camera yet just the Mallincam I am trying to decide what to buy next for my 11" EdgeHD. the Hyperstar, or a CCD cam I was thinking about a starlight Xpress to go with the Starlight Express LodeStar auto guider but no clue what CCD best complements the EdgeHD's optics any ideas will be welcomed.

Ed,

You will find that one CCD won't cover all jobs. If you are interested in planets and the moon then a high speed camera offering 60 frames per second or higher is what you will be looking for. Typically these are fairly small chips and used for high magnification planetary shots, taking a movie, then stacking to obtain one still.

If you are interested in deep sky then you need to be looking at long exposure cooled CCD cameras. The C11 is quite long focal length and to fit a lot of common deep sky objects in the frame you need a large chip camera, preferably with large pixels to get the best out of the scope. I used to use a Canon DSLR, it is a large chip, but the pixel size was quite small. I now use an SXVR-H18, it is quite a big chip and the pixel size is reasonably, but I use a 2x2 bin on the pixels to improve sensitivity and signal to noise. I also use an Optec Lepus 0.62 focal reducer.

As for Hyperstar, this turns your scope in to a an F/2 550mm focal length telescope. It is capable of wide field and very fast exposures of deep sky objects. It works very well with a Canon and CCDs that have smaller pixel sizes. I have one which I used to get some great shots, but sadly it will now fit inside my observatory and it is up for sale in the classifieds on here, if you are interested?

Robin

Thanks for the replies, Was not trying to hijack the thread I am just starting out, I do not have a CCD camera yet just the Mallincam I am trying to decide what to buy next for my 11" EdgeHD. the Hyperstar, or a CCD cam I was thinking about a starlight Xpress to go with the Starlight Express LodeStar auto guider but no clue what CCD best complements the EdgeHD's optics any ideas will be welcomed.

Ed.

As Robin says, there are different cameras for different objects. I use the ZWO120MC with my C11 Edge. I personally would recommend this for planetary work, especially if you are starting out. (It's cheap compared with other cams aswell being made in China). I do believe though that I will obtain better shots with a mono cam and filters which may be the way I'll go for things like Mars and Uranus.

There are a lots of bright white patches on Mars at the moment....

The Polar cap is one but it is very small and hard to see.

Hellas is in the opposite hemisphere and is very large, bright and white and easy to confuse as a polar cap.

Elysium is between the two and is also showing as a pale white patch.

And both preceding and following limbs also show varying white areas.

There are a lots of bright white patches on Mars at the moment....

The Polar cap is one but it is very small and hard to see.

Hellas is in the opposite hemisphere and is very large, bright and white and easy to confuse as a polar cap.

Elysium is between the two and is also showing as a pale white patch.

And both preceding and following limbs also show varying white areas.

Sorry, unsure of what your trying to say. Are you saying that I haven't cought Elysium Mons? If you look at Sky Safari and put the capture time in it is unmistakeable?

Harvey

Sorry, unsure of what your trying to say. Are you saying that I haven't cought Elysium Mons? If you look at Sky Safari and put the capture time in it is unmistakeable?

Harvey

i think dweller is just adding some Mars info, there certainly is no mistaking it.

Archived