NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mars, clearly showing Elysium Mons!

Barv

i think dweller is just adding some Mars info, there certainly is no mistaking it.

Thanks Pete, I'm glad you agree. Thought I was going mad!

Regards

Harvey

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Harvey - you are not going mad - it's me -  in error I have answered a question asked in another thread about a white patch on Mars......

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/216088-mars-white-patch/?hl=%2Bmars+%2Bwhite+%2Bpatch#entry2316874

My answer had no bearing on your post at all !!!!

However you have caught Elysium Mons in your fine photo, which for UK skies is quite a feat.

Harvey - you are not going mad - it's me -  in error I have answered a question asked in another thread about a white patch on Mars......

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/216088-mars-white-patch/?hl=%2Bmars+%2Bwhite+%2Bpatch#entry2316874

However you have caught Elysium Mons in your fine photo, which for UK skies is quite a feat.

OK thanks for coming back to me, and for your compliments.

Regards

Harvey

Slightly off topic but, I have just downloaded a copy of Mars Globe from iTunes, I would have to say it is brilliant. There is one for the moon as well, equally as good. If you interested in what you looking/imaging then I can recommend these two apps. Oh and the standard versions are free, the HD versions are £0.69 an offer greater detail.

It sorts out your Elysium from your Olympus.

Right I am off to see if I can spot Curiosity in any of my pics.

Robin

Slightly off topic but, I have just downloaded a copy of Mars Globe from iTunes, I would have to say it is brilliant. There is one for the moon as well, equally as good. If you interested in what you looking/imaging then I can recommend these two apps. Oh and the standard versions are free, the HD versions are £0.69 an offer greater detail.

It sorts out your Elysium from your Olympus.

Right I am off to see if I can spot Curiosity in any of my pics.

Robin

Thanks for that Robin. I usually use Sky Safari for the same reasons. I may well download that though if it's free as Sky Safari is quite complex and not free. Good luck with Curiosity. I got an image the other night of the spacestation and I'm sure I've caught one of the astronauts doing a spacewalk!

Regards Harvey

An astronaut? good for you Harvey. Think I might start a bit smaller and go after one of the Apollo landing sites first, that should give the conspiriacy theorists something to think about.

I have still got tube currents in my C11 despite fitting a fan kit to my C11 and extractor in the obs, so have just bought a 6" fan from one of the bargain shops, it certainly shifts some air, so will wire it in parallel with the other fans and then turn them all on an hour before observing/imaging. Hope this fixes the problem.

Robin

i did wonder whether that was what had happened, it seemed a bit coincidental that a thread regarding "white patches" was going on at the same time :grin:

An astronaut? good for you Harvey. Think I might start a bit smaller and go after one of the Apollo landing sites first, that should give the conspiriacy theorists something to think about.

I have still got tube currents in my C11 despite fitting a fan kit to my C11 and extractor in the obs, so have just bought a 6" fan from one of the bargain shops, it certainly shifts some air, so will wire it in parallel with the other fans and then turn them all on an hour before observing/imaging. Hope this fixes the problem.

Robin

I'll be interested to know how much things improve with that fan Robin, can you keep me posted please. PM me if you like.

Regards

Harvey

Sure Harvey, I will let you know how I get on.

I replaced the vents with a push/pull fan kit (from the US), that cools the mirror and there is a bathroom style extractor fan with a vent to the outside, but I am still getting tube currents, mind my obs is quite small and there is a PC in there kicking out a few watts of heat.

I don't think I used to get tube currents when it was mounted outside, but then it had air flow all round the scope so my theory is if I can circulate the air in the obs around the scope, I should be able to dissipate tube currents faster. I think the 6" fan I bought was about £7, it's a bit on the plastic side, but the fan seems solid and does have a metal guard. Up to 1m in front of it, it creates quite a draft.

Robin

i did wonder whether that was what had happened, it seemed a bit coincidental that a thread regarding "white patches" was going on at the same time :grin:

Thanks Pete, I blame my brother, - (scooot). He posted my image on another thread unbeknown to me, and dweller25 answered it but it linked back to this one. Easily done I suppose. Sorry Dweller25 if I started jumping to conclusions.

Regards

Harvey

Archived