Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

hi im new

planet1......Hi. Download the FREE software program called Stellarium. Its  a great learning aid to the night skies. You can enter telescope details, and add eyepieces. This allows you to "see and try" different eyepieces in different telescopes using one of the applets.

Welcome, I started last fall and can't get enough. It is so fun to learn where things are in the sky. When you realize what your looking at it is even more amazing! You can get all your questions answered on here, very helpful site.  Things can be tricky at first but you will get better at using your gear. It is all worth it.

Hi Planet1 and welcome to SGL :)

My only advice at your stage is to not expect too much until you get chance to learn your instrument. You won't see images like the photo shots you see on TV and in glossy magazines - and pretty much everything is black and white.

But when you do begin to focus on interesting objects and learn about what they are, and how large and distant they are - you will find it all truly stunning. Any problems - just ask here and someone will be along with an answer soon. Have fun! :)

Heya, as I said in your welcoming thread: the heritage was my first scope and I still got it.

Some advice : - Download Stellarium, there is a reason everyone recommends it  :smiley: .

- Read the post "What can I expect to see..?"  in the 'Getting started with observing' section. Helped me alot.

- Align your finder properly, this is very important. Find something far away to aim at in daytime, or a streetlight at least 7-800 meters away when its dark.

- The heritage needs at least 15 minutes of cooling before use.

- There are plenty of previous threads in SGL regarding the heritage which will help you on your way, but the experts in here will answer you no matter what you ask

- Spend some time with the supplied Super 25mm and just browse the sky. Wonderful.

Rune

Hi and Welcomr. ;) Your New hobby, will become an addiction . As you see things that will amaze you from time to time. There's lots of WOW's on the way.

The first time you see. shadows in the Moon's craters

The first time you see a Planet, or Sunspots (with the proper filters obviously)

Enjoy The Ride ;)

Hi there and welcome

I too am new to the hobby - so new i can only have looked skyward for 10 minutes or so.  Hoping for a longer look tonight as the wife is on nights.

Another piece of software I would suggest is Cartes Du Ciel - http://www.ap-i.net/skychart/en/start.

A bit clunky to use, especially compared to Stellarium (which is a must have also) but much much easier to print very useable star maps from.

I used Stellarium to give me an idea as to what to try and look for tonight and how it may look through my bins and then Cartes Du Ciel to print the maps.

Archived