Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

You have how much to spend !!

Geuse

Was having a bit of a day dream in my office on what was a very quiet friday afternoon. My mind slipped into that "if i won the lottery" phase and (whilst i am sure this will have been discussed before) i started to thinking, what exactly would i buy if money was no (ish) object.

Any takers??

For the record i plumped for a nice house, somewhere on a hill surrounded by dark skies. I would build a small (huge) observatory in the back garden and i eventually plumped for the Meade LX600 16".

Man that's got me thinking.... I'd travel the world, see all parts and all skies of the northern and southern hemisphere, and maybe set up a facility for children and young people to explore the universe through astronomy and physics! :) granted I'd buy lots of astronomy and photography equipment...

Id have at least a dual wide field imaging set up (maybe triple) of pair of Tak 85s on a GM2000. A 120-150mm refractor on a GM3000 and a 24"-30" RC or CDK on a AP1600 or a GM4000.  All in one large obsy of course. And yes this was the large lotto I won. :)

Achieved my goal, quite happy with my lot, that is taking my 14" dobsonian on trips to dark skies in Northumberland - when it is not cloudy, or the moon is not too bright. Replacing my Skoda with well another Skoda might become necessary in due course.

Winning the lottery?  Buy or build my own observatory in a good dark sky spot, decked out with as much technology as my winnings could buy, and invite local schools and astronomy clubs to come and use it for free. 

house in the country (but not necessarily this country), lovely car for my wife, big very fast dob (maybe a 30" f3-3.5) and a circular platform for the zenith, plus a trailer for the dob and of course a decent motorhome for dark sky trips and towing the dob.

Happy with what I have achieved & acquired with my very limited wealth. Rewarded with great satisfaction when reaching all my goals. Always willing to go the extra mile for others. Satisfied knowing that the struggles & sacrifices make every success I have realised worthwhile.

Money is not everything as far as I am concerned. To be healthy, contended & at peace with what life has given me keeps me humble.

I don't do the lottery or gamble as you might have gathered but I do believe you should have dreams, goals & ambitions. Strive for them with all the resources, energy & ability you have available to you. You will then have a fullfilling life knowing you deserve all you have strived for.

This is my personal viewpoint & is not intended to offend any one. Rant over.

I would build a regional society for young astronomers, to share the beauty of the universe. I would have a huge 20" Meade in an observatory purely for observing. The optics, mount and Goto would all be taut to people so that when they buy their first, they know what they're doing. I would also buy my own collection of scopes, from 6" Apo's to 16" RCs and all in between. This would be after i'd aquired a 6 Bedroom house in a Dark Sky location. A man can dream :(

For the record i plumped for a nice house, somewhere on a hill surrounded by dark skies. I would build a small (huge) observatory in the back garden and i eventually plumped for the Meade LX600 16".

Well I haven't got the 16"LX 600, but I got the rest covered.

I'm just above comfort level so I'm well beyond happy - healthy fit and better looking than my years.

Just got my NEQ6 and now I'm off to spend the next 6 months on my narrowboat. (which isn't on a hill and has no garden at all.)

I do need to get rid of some trees though -

So if I won the lotto, I guess it would be just a buffer and I'd probably use most of it as funding for those less able to make ends meet.

Archived