Hello from Oracle, Arizona USA

StarSapling

I've been into the hobby for going on 40 years now.  I am first and foremost a visual observer (I like the actual photons on my retina), but I do dabble a bit with digiscoping (my member photo is my best Jupiter so far).

I've noticed that you in the UK seem to be bit more aligned with me philisophically, regarding observing, than most of my fellow American observers.

Like most people, of my generation, I got into the hobby with a 60mm refractor.  Around the time of Halley's return, I purchased a 250mm Dobsonian reflector and went deep.

A couple of years ago, I went back to my refractor roots.  I can't explain why, but I just prefer to do most of my observing, these days, with refractors mounted on simple, manually operated equitorial mounts. I use a 90mm f/10 for lunar, planetary and double star observing, a 120mm f/5 for deep sky observing and a pair of well mounted 20x80 binoculars for Milky Way sweeping. 

I look forward to becoming a part of your community.

Jerry

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Jerry welcome to the lounge

I am also an observer, to me manual is more pleasurable, finding targets

without go-to is fun, sometimes frustrating, but when you do find what you

are looking for it feels great, that to me is what this hobby is all about, seeing

through an eyepiece put you out there.

Good Luck and Clear Sky's

Archived