Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

hello all

Marv-in

Hi all. I was just able to buy my first scope, Celestron EdgeHD 8 with CGEM. Its been really cold but I have been able to get out about four times so far. So far we have seen the moon, Jupiter, Saturn, and the Orion nebula. I live in town so its been a challenge to get a good alignment, but I get a little better each time! I also plan to try my hand at some photography when it warms up some.

Hi and welcome to the forum Marv. As you hint at a possible future interest in astrophotography, may I suggest you consider taking a look at Steve Richards' "Making Every Photon Count" which is a comprehensive guide on what kit you need to take good consistent images.

Clear skies and hope you enjoy the forum.

James

hi marvin and welcome to sgl, nice first scope buddy, any pics, we like pics here

This is the one and only picture I have so far. It was taken just before I got my scope. Once it warms up I hope to hope to hook the camera up to the scope and see what I can get.

My current plan is 8" SCT -> t-adapter -> t-ring -> canon t3i ... hoping to just get some moon shots and maybe some planets, probably be some time before I can get to the deeper stuff. Tips, recommendations, links to good reading are gladly welcome! 

Love the calendar, if only I could link it into google...

First Moon attempt

This is the one and only picture I have so far. It was taken just before I got my scope. Once it warms up I hope to hope to hook the camera up to the scope and see what I can get.

My current plan is 8" SCT -> t-adapter -> t-ring -> canon t3i ... hoping to just get some moon shots and maybe some planets, probably be some time before I can get to the deeper stuff. Tips, recommendations, links to good reading are gladly welcome! 

Love the calendar, if only I could link it into google...

nice mate

Hi and welcome :)

Very nice scope you have there! 

If Astrophotography is in the future then i highly reccomend the book Making Every Photon Count.

There is a great free program called Stellarium for you pc and many fantastic phone and tablet apps such as Redshift and Luminos that will help you learn the sky and find things when your out.

Looking forward to seeing your images in the future!

Hi and welcome :)

Very nice scope you have there! 

If Astrophotography is in the future then i highly reccomend the book Making Every Photon Count.

There is a great free program called Stellarium for you pc and many fantastic phone and tablet apps such as Redshift and Luminos that will help you learn the sky and find things when your out.

Looking forward to seeing your images in the future!

Thanks! I am an avid linux user and so far I have been drawn to KStars and Google Sky which has helped a lot. I have seen Stellarium, will check that out some more. I have my mount hooked up so I can control it from my laptop via KStars, just need to figure out the control of my t3i.

Awesome flickr photos!

Archived