NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Confused on advice & on a small budget

Due to a spate of bad luck over the past few months I don't think I will ever get a budget more than £100 or so for a scope in the next few months.

Part of me is not bothered - the way the weather been has not exactly been the best for stargazing.  At the same time I'm thinking it can't continue forever and I would like to buy a scope before we get longer days (where I live on a cloudless day you only get about 5 hours darkness).

Looking at reviews, I'm also getting confused and a bit frustrated.

For example, I've been looking at the Skywatcher 1145HP with an EQ1 mount for about £100.

When I look at reviews, people say yeah it's OK, but save up a bit more and get something better like an Explorer 130P.

Then when you read reviews on that one, you get the same advice.  Yeah, it's OK but save up a bit more and buy a Skyliner 150P

And on it goes until eventually you're looking at buying out NASA.

Or should I just completely forget trying to buy one and stick with my binos and forget about ever trying some astrophotography?

Personally I think you have to set yourself a maximum budget what you would stretch to as the most, you say £100 but would you do £125 if pushed for example. You then know your true limit.

Try and find what you can get for that budget, especially second hand as that is where you will get much better for the low value.

Then find out what the scope is capable of, do you need more EP etc.

If you are going to do AP then you will have to buy some extra equipment after the scope. May be a MD, connectors to use a DSLR prime focas etc.

The key point though is what is the scope capable of, you may want to try and find examples so you can decide yourself.

As to the upgrades that could be something for the future, birthday, Christmas etc.

So make sure that what you spend your money on to start with is something you can use and would be happy to take outside on each clear night and not think I don't want to use that until I can afford that £50 EP etc.

Hope that helps, I can't advise on equipment as I haven't a clue.

Hiya,

Maybe a good pair of binoculars with a stand might be a better option for you at this time, there are some excellent views to be had through them.

If you do not want to go down this route try to find something on the second hand maket  :smiley:

When the budget is limited (and i know your pain, i wish mine was £100 even) it can be very hard to get something decent. Forget the reviews, people will always say "save for something larger". Not just astronomy but everything, its a standard line. You have a £100, you just need the best for that budget.

And i think you have already found it if buying new, the 114P is a nice scope. You won't be disappointed.

You'll find it hard to beat a Skywatcher Heritage-100P - probably the best scope under £100. Hth :)

(Liddl's have a pair of BRESSER 12 x 32 Binoculars for £8 on offer right now - would go nicely with the  100P and assist with finding stuff)

Depends what you mean by astrophotography.

You can get very pleasing images by putting a reasonable secondhand camera on a tripod.

If you mean planetary or deep sky imaging, then I don't think the £100 budget is going to stretch that far.

Secondhand is a good option, but might take some time waiting for what you are looking for.

Or as already suggested, the Heritage 100P is looking like a good deal.

Or, as you've already said, you can go a long way with a decent set of bins.

Cheers

Have a look on UKASTRO buy and sell....lots of stuff. Saw a whole TAL 2M on there the other week (scope / pillar mount and original box for £100 (its sold now but for ref Here it is)

and currently there is a 4.5" TAL 1 I think for £80 :here...not mine I might add...but did look at it!

Have a search around on the site. stuff will pop up...and some might not be Russain ;-)

If the Heritage 100p is anything like the 130p, it's a pretty good scope. Alternatively, there's always the Heritage 130p itself which I'm sure you could get second hand for under £100. Probably the most aperture for the price you're going to get.

But with both those scopes, remember that the table top thing means it's much harder to take out into the field at a dark site. I found putting it on often muddy ground and grovelling around on freezing grass was not much fun so I got another scope with a proper tripod and mount. If you've got a decent garden with a solid table to put it on then definitely go for the Heritage though.

If the Heritage 100p is anything like the 130p, it's a pretty good scope. Alternatively, there's always the Heritage 130p itself which I'm sure you could get second hand for under £100. Probably the most aperture for the price you're going to get.

But with both those scopes, remember that the table top thing means it's much harder to take out into the field at a dark site. I found putting it on often muddy ground and grovelling around on freezing grass was not much fun so I got another scope with a proper tripod and mount. If you've got a decent garden with a solid table to put it on then definitely go for the Heritage though.

Crawling round a muddy soggy ground in the dark doesn't sound too much fun. There much better some portable table or stool that is stable enough and portable to take in the field.

Considering a second hand scope would be a good option at this price range I feel if you are prepared to wait a little and keep an eye out. I've seen the heritage 130p come and go for around 50 - 60 pounds, even on ebay with its inflated astro prices :smiley: .  With a bit of luck you may be able to get something a little better like a 6 inch Dob for that price such as the skywatcher skyliner 150p where you are not forced  to sit on the ground without a table if that is of concern.  

I'd consider carefully if you really want to do AP when on a very limited budget, not trying to sound I am putting a damper on it, you can still have some fun with a webcam on a dob for planets and the moon, but AP is a money grabber.

Good luck :smiley:

RK75..................Hi,........ there will always be something bigger, better, no matter what the subject. That makes it more difficult to the potential buyer like yourself. But  from the list you've  mentioned already, I would suggest starting at the 150P as your baseline, and  higher  for visual observations only.  If you want to venture in astro photography, that's another ball game, and can be very expensive. The telescope mounts initially being the most important issues maybe?

keep asking here on SGL and pushing out your questions. About a Month will be about right before you start to settle on something?  :huh:

Crawling round a muddy soggy ground in the dark doesn't sound too much fun. There much better some portable table or stool that is stable enough and portable to take in the field.

It certainly wasn't. I really love the scope itself but I found the fact that the prospect of getting on the tube and buses for over an hour each way and then having to crawl on the ground to see anything really put me off going out, even on crystal clear nights, unless I was really in the mood for it.

I looked for a suitably portable but stable stool but couldn't find anything.

However, the thing does come with a dovetail so can be attached to most other astro mounts/tripods. Now I have my 127SLT, the mount works for the 130p as well. But for the OP, with their £100 budget, I'm assuming there'd be no budget for a tripod hefty enough to hold this scope.

It's amazing what you can see and learn with nothing but a book, I bought my scope before I realised this but I'm still struggling to set up my goto because I don't really know many of the stars names. I could have put my time to better use before I bought my scope and hit the ground running as they say.

I'll send you a PM, I have a good PDF that could help you

Archived