Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

When is this weather going to end??

Skooby

I get free travel on trains, pay a tenner and get upgraded to first class, i think it breaks even then, free coffee 1st or pay for it in 2nd class.......can't remember the last time i had the misfortune to have use one.....back in 2003 i think.....have a nice day and don't expect anybody to get out of your way on the tube... :)

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's very tempting.  Especially as a peak return, zone 1 tube, parking, lunch and probably dinner too is going to leave me with very little change out of £300.

James

Ouch - the proverbial daylight robbery!    Surely an enterprising private taxi service could do better than this?

My boss knows not to try to send me to meetings in London. I always say "no". Just like I wouldn't visit an Astro show in London (trying to desperately get the thread back into the right hobby at least).

Looks to actually be clear here tonight, and cold, so I will get the 180Mak out cooling shortly. I want to have another good look at Jupiter before it starts to descend into the sunset glow/trees to my W-SW.

Cheers

Ian

It now looks like I am not going :)

I very much object to paying so much to get the train to London, but actually we have potential work that needs attention to make sure it comes our way.  A division of labour was clearly called for, so I made an executive decision that only one person needed to go to London and that it wasn't me :)

James

Ouch - the proverbial daylight robbery!    Surely an enterprising private taxi service could do better than this?

You would think so, wouldn't you?  That wasn't even first class, either.

James

I've been finding these last five infuriating months that the only clear nights have been the ones around the full moon; i.e. the ones where there is practically no point in taking the telescope out. And of course the clearest night is always the one when you're out to dinner / have to get up early the next day.

DD

I've been finding these last five infuriating months that the only clear nights have been the ones around the full moon; i.e. the ones where there is practically no point in taking the telescope out. And of course the clearest night is always the one when you're out to dinner / have to get up early the next day.

DD

Indeed.  I went out on a date with a rather nice, beautiful lady and it was the most glorious clear night.  Typical!  However, she was well impressed when I pointed out to her Leo and Bootes and where the Virgo galaxy cluster would be and I'm on my fourth date now :) and all going very well! So the clear lesson is astro knowledge = potentially nice ladies :) :)  And of course to keep this balanced it must work the other way round too!

It'll be cloudy now  :cussing:

I'm afraid I have to inform you that you are 100% not wrong :(

There are clear patches, but at the moment there's an awful lot of high cloud too.  The forecast still claims it will clear later so we shall see.  The sky is looking clearer to the north-west though I'm struggling to tell if it's heading this way.

James

Fairly clear here SO FAR but it's 10pm and the sky is barely dark, and what with the moonshine, I can only see a couple of stars. Plainly not worth going out yet, but I'll probably be asleep in an hour!

Really? Jupiter is opposite of the Moon.

Comet near the zenith.

Plenty to see regardless of moonshine.

Get outside, it's lovely. :)

Actually quite cool and damp here (we had late showers), but the seeing is ok and transparency is very good. Jupiter looks great.

Cheers

Ian

am imaging regar

Really? Jupiter is opposite of the Moon.

Comet near the zenith.

Plenty to see regardless of moonshine.

Get outside, it's lovely. :)

Actually quite cool and damp here (we had late showers), but the seeing is ok and transparency is very good. Jupiter looks great.

Cheers

Ian

I am imaging regardless of the Moon, it has been nearly a month since I had a clear night and I am not letting it go by, Moon or no Moon.

Regards,

A.G

It is rather lovely out there now, if you don't mind it being like daylight :D

I think I might be reaching the limit of my endurance for tonight though.  I did an hour's swimming whilst my daughter was doing her training this evening and I'm feeling rather weary now...

James

for all you old hands at this, I know you've seen it all before. BUT!! after not getting out since Good Friday!! I've just seen Saturn and its rings and I think Titan for the FIRST time. and once again I'm Gobsmacked. THIS is a great and astounding Hobby.

Hope everyone is getting a chance to be out. ;).

Rather good eh?

James, man up, grab a coffee and spend an hour or so just looking if you are tired. Don't often get these chances and summer is coming :)

I'm having a wonderful evening, just observing. It's what I've missed the most. I'll stay up until I can't see straight.

Cheers

Ian

well it rained cats and dogs for me last night.

the MET office predicted 3 days of sun and clear night skies. Their morning prediction has now changed to 3 days of cloud!!!!

Whoever they are employing to do these should be sacked with immediate effect!

Finally got out for 90 minutes from 11 last night. Despite the brightness and proximity of the moon I had a lovely view of Saturn, very small in the ST 120, but perfectly formed. And Jupiter wasn't bad though I struggled to make out too much detail... I know the ST 120 one't great for planets.

I tried for some DSOs but couldn't see anything except the Ring Menial,which is one of the few deep objects I can find easily. It was amazingly small in the eyepiece but still a thrill to see it.

l finished up looking at the moon for a bit, which of course was incredibly bright, even with a filter.

So, not perfect but great to actually get out and see something at last.

Glad to hear you folks are managing to see something!

Two nights ago was the best for a while but my garden isn't the best place for observing and there was a lot of atmosphere to try to punch through for Saturn. I failed.

But I'll be back ...

Well the skies turned out to be pretty good last night. A few clouds here and there but nothing horrible. Too bad I have pulled something in my back at work. Off till I see the doctor again on Friday. No lifting anything over 10 pounds. No awkward bending or twisting. No setting up the scope for me!  :sad:

Yes, I too couldn't not go out after 2 weeks of rain and cloud. Was out in SW London garden at about 10:45 for about 45mins. I didn't think the seeing was great Moonshine aside. Mars was not clear for me just a red/blue blob. Even Saturn didn't seem so clear albeit right beside the moons glare. I turned my attention to some U Maj Doubles (commented in another Section) and found this disappointing in that I failed to split a couple that I think? are not meant to be difficult? It was a lovely calm, warm evening though and pleasant being out despite my seeing.

Any people down my way care to express how they found the seeing last night?

The forecasts lied to me last night, predicted clear skies until 1:00am -ish so I set my rig up/ I never even got chance to power the mount up because cloud rolled in and stayed there. No big deal I suppose, only took 5min to put everything back again. Looks like the same deal tonight.

ChrisH

Archived