NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The beginning of many questions...

mac19

Hello Stargazers community!! I'd like to thank you all in advance for you're insight and patience while answering my many questions in the days to come.

I'm currently starring up at the night sky without any optical aids but the time has come to buy a telescope soon. The 3 scopes I've been interested in are the Celestron 8se, cpc800 and cpc925. The latter is stretching the budget possibly... As a first time telescope owner can you please give some insight into these 3 scopes and some reasons to buy one over the other. And are there other scopes I should be looking at as well?

The majority of my viewing will be in low light pollution area's in northern Alberta 100km from any city lights. Transportability is important as well.

Respectfully ~Mac19

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL. The 8SE is very portable but any choice of scope depends on what you want to observe.

I have the 6SE and it is a good set-up, but since I bought that I have been dragged (kicking and screaming of course) into buying other OTA's.

Fast scopes are great for DSO have good fieldsl of view  but slower scopes are better for planetary and lunar observation as they have longer focal lengths (like the 8SE).

If you want to do imaging then an equatorial mount is required and the 8SE would not suit.

You will find plenty of advice here.

If you can afford the CPC925, then go for it! It´s definitely the best of the three. Many will tell you there is something special with that size of Scope. It will give you remarkable views of the planets and smaller DSO´s.

The CPC line of Scopes are excellent and the 9,25inch version is big, but still portable, as the Scope breaks Down into 2 pieces. The Scope+fork Mount and the tripod.

I don´t like the 8SE, as the 8inch OTA is too heavy for the SE Mount. So I would go for either CPC800 or CPC925.

Welcome to SGL - I have recently looked through a C9.25 (not a visual observer at all) and I have to say that Jupiter was simply breath taking. Based on that alone, I would be considering a C9.25 especially for planetary stuff.

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Thanks for the warm welcome! I think I'm going to be in search of either a 800 or 925cpc. Even if it requires a little more patience to aquire. I'd prefer make my first scope a long lasting purchase. I watched an older nextar 8gps xlt come and go for what appeared to be a great deal. Should I also be looking at older or used scopes?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mac,

Welcome to SGL!   I have the CPC 800 and I love it.  I'm used to observing in an area with lots of LP, and this scope performs really well under these conditions.  However, the first time I took it to a dark sky site, it blew me away.  I've observed M31 many, many times, but seeing it in this scope, at a dark sky site, I actually gasped! Amazing! 

I do, however, struggle with moving the scope.  It does break down into two easy pieces, but being a very short - and not very strong - girl, it's an effort to move it.  I have a bad back and this scope is at the limit of what I can safely move (without doing myself any harm).  If you are a big strapping lad, then I'm sure you'd have no problems at all with it.  

Can't speak for the CPC 925, but I'd imagine it's slightly heavier than the CPC 800.  Something to bear in mind. 

Good luck with whatever scope you choose though! 

Archived