A quick hello

DanLXIX

Hi all

Just a quick intro from me. I'll be picking up my first 'scope soon. Having spend ages online trying to narrow thing down, I took a trip to Rother Valley Optics at the weekend, who confirmed my choice of the Skywatcher 130M being a good place to start.

I'll be attempting some photography with it as well, as I'm a keen photographer. Although I know it's not easy I do like a challenge.

I'll be picking it up in the next couple of weeks all being well, and I can't wait  :smiley:

Hi and welcome to SGL - Glad that you found us. There's some very knowledgeable folks on the forum so when you get your kit, if you have any questions do ask. For astrophotography, forget everything you already know!!! It's a very different beast. Imaging is all about the mount, you need a good rock solid equatorial mount to image DSO's (planetary is a different ball game, that I know nothing about!)

Perhaps just concentrate on the visual stuff for starters then look again at AP at a later date.

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

A warm welcome, you'll have lots of things to discover with your new scope.

I shouldn't worry that you're not going to pick it up for a couple of weeks, if your weather is anything like it is around here it may not be clear until then :grin: .

Hi Dan and welcome to the forum. Different types of astrophotography require different setups and the best way to understand the choices and their complexities, is to have a look at a book by Steve Rochards called "Making Every Photon Count". It is a very comprehensive guide to what kit you need to take good consistent images. Imaging Deep Sky Objects (DSO's) such as galaxies and nebulae are the most challenging part of imaging and as a minimum you will need an accurate motorised mount. This is because you will need to capture enough data from this faint objects to be able to construct a final composite image. However imaging solar system objects, such as planets and the moon is a more straightforward affair and can be imaged via a webcam on almost any scope. With this method, the best 'frames' are selected from the total video to construct a final composite image. The above book will breakdown the finer details and it will also help provide you with a good overview of all that is involved which can help you decide from the beginning how far you want to go with astrophotography and an idea of the necessary budget to pay for it. There are some similarities with terrestrial photography but in the main astro imaging is very different and if you want some idea of what equipment people are using, take a look over on the imaging sections at members kit lists and you will clearly see what the consensus is and what has been proven to work.

Clear skies for now and hope you enjoy the forum

James

Archived