NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Good Evening from Japan

Kainushi

Konbabwa from Japan.

Although I have had my account for several months, this is my first post.  I have spent the past few months practicing identifying constellations with the naked eye, and pointing my binoculars at whatever strikes my fancy.  I only discovered last week, quite by accident, that the Galilean Moons are visible through my binoculars.

Armed with this knowledge, I braved the cold, and took my camera outside tonight and to attempt a photograph of them.  I believe that I succeeded, but the result has me scratching my head.  I expected the moons to be to the left and right of Jupiter, not above and below the planet.  Is this normal, or did I in fact, not photograph the moons?

I appreciate any assistance.

This image was taken with a Nikon D3000, 300mm lens, f5.8, ISO 1600, 1/2" exposure.

post-31292-0-61327400-1390823660_thumb.j

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and a warm welcome to SGL from the cold and rainy North East of England.

You have captured Jupiter and its moons and if you were using a telescope it would show the wrong way round. 

To get a better image try reducing your shutter speed and you will get the ring detail on your images. Really with Astro Photography a lot is just playing around with your DSLR to get the best effect.

Happy Stargazing and enjoy your Astro journey.

Welcome to SGL. You have definitely succeeded in capturing Jupiter and its moons. The moons are more-or-less aligned with the ecliptic, and when Jupiter rises, this makes quite an angle with the horizon. I am not surprised that they show up almost vertically, especially because you are much further south than we are.

Clear skies!

Swag and Sandancer10,

Thank you for your responses.  I did dither a bit with the camera; this was the clearest of the four images I took.  The cold and my wobbly tripod, which is seemingly unsuitable for astrophotography, conspired to drive me back indoors.  :-)

Have you got a remote shutter release for your camera? If the tripod is a little wobbly, its better to be "hands off" in regard to the camera and trigger the shutter remotely.

Dont worry about the cold :) you will either get used to it, or find a way to capture images without leaving your armchair (no prizes for guessing which option I chose!).

Hello Kainushi,

Welcome to SGL !

Some of my very first attempts at Jupiter were with a Nikon D3100 and a 70-300 zoom, I would say you got Jupiter and its moons right! :)  A lot of things can be seen with binos and many can be photographed with a telezoom like yours! Give a try to m31 Andromeda Galaxy  and M42 Orion Nebula and have fun :D

Clear Skies!

Hi and welcome to the lounge,

my wife and I will be visiting your country in September on a cruise,

I will be taking my bins with me, I'm looking forward to observing your

night sky, hopefully the weather will be kind. Good luck with the A P.

Clear Sky's 

Have you got a remote shutter release for your camera? If the tripod is a little wobbly, its better to be "hands off" in regard to the camera and trigger the shutter remotely.

Dont worry about the cold :) you will either get used to it, or find a way to capture images without leaving your armchair (no prizes for guessing which option I chose!).

Uranium235,

I haven't a remote shutter for my camera.  I have to rely on the camera's internal timer and hope that the wind doesn't blow.  As for the cold, I'll just have to suck that up!

Hello Kainushi,

Welcome to SGL !

Some of my very first attempts at Jupiter were with a Nikon D3100 and a 70-300 zoom, I would say you got Jupiter and its moons right! :)  A lot of things can be seen with binos and many can be photographed with a telezoom like yours! Give a try to m31 Andromeda Galaxy  and M42 Orion Nebula and have fun :D

Clear Skies!

Rihard,

Good morning.  The Orion Nebula is nifty: I can see it from my front doorstep, but the Andromeda Galaxy is proving tricker.  I can find Cassiopeia and Pegasus, but lose myself in the space between them.

Archived