Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Supernova in M82

callump

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Evening folks,

Just been out in the Garden and found the blighter, for once the view through as medium sized newt lived up

to a photograph (The SPA Report). 

I looked up with a 20mm lens, and then through 10mm and filally 6mm to get some separation from the dim little foreground-

star just below-right of it against the dimmer outskirts of the galaxy. 

The SN is a good deal brighter than this star (which was barely discernable) and stood out against the brighter

mid-plane of the Galaxy. It's to the right (Newt view) of the right-hand of the two brighter knots either side of the thick dust lane.

That description tells a story in itself, I have not scrutinised M82 as well as this evening for years, had a good go at M81 too.

There is thin cloud over the sky at the moment, but Jupiter is shining through with  IO and its shadow transiting. Enough to  keep

me going until PSN J Whatnot shows itself again.

Good luck with the sky folks, this is tiny and quite faint, but its an exploding White dwarf - Nuff said.

Mick

Spotted ! Just out between the clouds . 10" Lightbridge with an 8.8mm Meade 4000 UW. (X136. )

Lovely bright spot on the galaxy plane in the Newt view. If you're used to seeing M82, this sticks out !

Really lucky as we have now persistent cloud cover,

Nick.

Now that's what I call good timing. A new supernova and a clear sky to. Just lugged the trusty 10" out and managed to see my first supernova. Very well pleased and a tad giddy with excitement. Even managed to use the 9mm eyepiece for the first time in ages too.

Excellent stuff chaps. Cloudy here tonight, but a decent clear spell forecast for tomorrow. Will give it a go with the 106mm, should be do-able in that I reckon. Better not crack open Jonathan's mak again, all nicely cleaned up ready to ship :-)<br />

<br />

Stu

I can't find M82 with my binoculars or my telescope, I can never seem to locate it. I never usually have this trouble, I don't know what's wrong with me. I'm genuinely gutted as it's clear tonight too. Maybe there will be another clear night as it's supposed to get brighter and easier to see over the next two weeks...

Just been out again in the 4" at 89x it's visible ok.  To me it's like a pinprick in the haze or fog.  Staggering really when you think of what your looking at.

andrew

Thats pretty much what all the SN's I've observed have looked like. Not much to look at from here but imagine what the worlds and stars in the vicinity witnessed when it kicked off :shocked:

Got it! Cat and mouse for the last hour and a half as small gaps in the cloud crossed the sky showing me one star at a time of UMa. Finally got the scope in the right place and a couple of gaps let me view M82 with its' new adornment in the 24mm and barlowed 20mm. :laugh:

Just in from an amazing night. Absolutely cracking skies, even if during the week I must view from a city roof top. Jupiter, GRS, Io's shadow, quite a number of elegant doubles, few cluster gemss, 72% Moon, Mars, NGC 3193, 3190, 3187, M81 & M 82, and the supernova. It all began with the Sun and hopefully so it'll all begin again in the morning. It truely is a very humbling and satisfying hobby :smiley:

Archived