SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Supernova in M82

callump

I can now just pick the supernova out with averted vision in my 20 x 80 binoculars so it must be just on mag 11.

Mark

I had a second viewing last night, also put the supernova at around 11.0. It seems to have brightened up a bit since my first viewing on 23rd.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had another look at it last night between rain showers,

It looked about mag 10.8 -11 to me and slightly brighter than my last viewing, and if anything the seeing was not as good; though thinking-on

this may have turned down the contrast knob on the Galaxy and made the SN stand out more.

I had my 6mm lens on it, and the brightest blob on the galaxy (other side of the dust-lane from the SN) kept appearing condensed and stella at

the edge of my vision making me jump thinking another one had exploded !

Unfortunately I appear to get as over-exited with Super-Nova-fever as I am wont to with Comets.

Mick

i like these transient events to Mick -  for me they always stick in the memory.  I find it quite hard estimating brightness and remember with Nova Delphini last year it seemed brighter at times the way you observed.  

Looking through the haze of the galaxy i'm sure influences the estimate for me and at times it appears to 'sparkle' a bit more. I think i made it about mag. 11.5 when first seen and it was difficult. 

andrew

I suppose its because they are something "happening" like the Transit of Venus/Mercury, The Solar disc (and limb in Ha) and the moons of Jupiter.

They show the universe in a dynamic way and Novae-SNs show that even  my usual targets the faint, extra-galactic fuzzies of millions of lightyears

distance are not just but dynamic systems.

Not that Supernova Hunting will ever lure me away from fuzzy finding of course, I am an utter Neb-head.

Mick

Managed to see it this evening, thank the lord. I tried a couple of nights ago but struggled even to find M82. Fortunately after about 15 minutes this evening I found both M82 and M81 a little bit further up and to the left than I anticipated. The supernova was clearly visible as quite a bright pinprick of light in the lower right portion of the galaxy. It was the only star visible within the fuzziness so I'm pretty sure that's what I saw.

I barlowed my 16mm eyepiece to give a magnification of x150 which gave good views of both the galaxy (an even bigger smudge) and the supernova. Well worth seeing, not so much for the spectacle but for the amazing fact that it's a star that's been dead for 12 million years, in another galaxy entirely, and we can actually see its death throes with our own eyes.

Wish I could confirm Daniel-K but got clouded out on my way towards checking it out. Will have a look perhaps tonight if its clear and look for some color. That would be fantastic!!!

i was using  a fairly low mag EP 18mm giving me x88 i tried my 9mm but was too much wish i had an 11mm it would have been perfect. very distinct colour to it though

Clear here so SN20124j is the 1st target this evening. Reports of it's demise seem premature - it looks as bright as ever this evening. Seems to be somewhere around mag 10.2 - 10.3 to my eyes. Very clear indeed at magnifications between 33x and 100x with the 8" F/5 newt I'm using tonight :smiley:  

Well, the supernova tempted me out this evening for the first time in months.  Found it after a few minutes' work with the setting circles on my trusty 6-inch TAL.  Not too hard, even in the light-polluted skies of NE London.  The most distant star I am ever likely to see!

Uncertain if I got it in the Heritage. I found M81 and M82 easily enough with WaveSoarer's route and they were both apparent with averted vision at 30x once the clouds consented to clear. At 75x I could see the core of M82 (and M81, I spent a bit of time looking in the wrong galaxy at first!), and a couple of stars in the right-ish place. But I didn't sketch the field; I thought I could verify it from memory, but I can't :(

I'll have to print out one of the images or sketches here for comparison next time I try.

Cracking view tonight! I haven't viewed the SN since it was first reported and think it might be a tad brighter as I don't need to use as much averted vision. Daniel-K: I couldn't see any color but am colorblind so will leave that for an expert to say. However, I did have a look with that in mind and would have loved to see a carbon star from such a distance! Best view was at 54x squeezing both galaxies into the FOV, with the SN very obvious. Was moved enough to do a better sketch than my last one:

post-26205-0-27711800-1391383514_thumb.j

Archived