SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Supernova in M82

callump

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a third view tonight having seen it over the past 2 weeks or so an I have a feeling it is holding up well but beginning to dim slightly. My estimate is mag 10.6 - 10.7 but I feel is going to dim significantly over the next week.

its been a good supernova to observe, with a number of well recorded stars very neqrby allowing magnitude estimates to be relatively easy and its also been in a familiar galaxy which is helpful.

Cheers

Saw it again this evening and, for me, it was even brighter than last night. I suspect though that this was because the seeing was a little better/less murky. The pinprick of light was absolutely unmistakeable. Alongside my first view of M31 I think this is one of the best things I've ever seen through a telescope.

Actually managed to find it for the second time last night, with the 8" so very pleased. Located it with the 24mm along with M81, then upped the magnification quite a lot on to M82.

It was a good night's viewing ... I'm starting to find more and be a bit more methodical in my observing.

Saw it for the third time last night. It took me quite some time to locate it until I realised I was looking through the branches of dear neighbhor's tree! It was much brighter than the last time I saw it which was exactly a week ago? Anyway I put it at around 10.6, almost as bright as one of the "pointer" stars I used to locate it.

Has anyone been able to see the supernova with binoculars? Or it's too faint? The reason I ask is that the weather forecast is looking promising tonight, but due to an injury to my foot/ankle, I'm not able to get a scope outside. Might be able to persuade my wife to help me with the 6" newt though.

http://www.cruxis.com/scope/limitingmagnitude.htm

Setting it for 10x50s suggests that an expert observer under dark skies might get it. But considering the need to resolve the SN from the nearby foreground star, I'd be surprised if it was managed.

With big binoculars, say 15x70 or 20x80, it should be visible from dark skies, but from urban skies you'll need the magnification of a scope to darken the background sky.

No, probably needs good skies and 20x80's at least. The magnification is in part what makes it visible by darkening the sky background. With my 15x50 binos I can get to around mag 9.3 to 9.5 under my skies, which are about 4.2 to 4.5 naked eye visibility at the zenith.

On the 2nd of Feb, I observed and then took a picture  of M82 and the SN with 127Mak@1500mm. This is supposed to have been the brightness night for it and the weather window opened up for 4 hrs on sunday night.

I could see that the SN was slightly red. This was confirmed the picture that I took, although the centre of the galaxy has a lot of orange in it which can also fool your eye that it is orange. (http://cassiopeiascat.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/master-bode-m81-and-his-cigar-m82.html)

I would image that in a longer focal length and larger aperture cassegrain, it must have been quite a sight!

I had another go for it tonight but it was hopeless. 90% Moon and half a dozen light from the neighbours made it feel like practically daylight outside, and clouds were blowing through. Got M82, but not even a hint of the supernova :(

How long will this be visible for? I only found out about it today, but the weather is ... Not likely to have a clear sky for a while.

Seems to be holding up quite well, slowly fading but above mag 11 still looking at this light curve.

a3y2y4ur.jpg

Should be around for a few weeks yet I guess.

Stu

Archived