Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Supernova in M82

callump

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Despite challenging (to put it politely !) observing conditions of rapidly moving clouds, buffeting wind and a bright moon I just about managed to track down M82 and the SN in a clear patch about 30 mins ago. I only risked my 4" refractor because of the wind but I reckon the SN is still around mag 10.6 or maybe a touch dimmer, say 10.8 ?.

I picked the galaxy up with the Baader 18mm classic ortho (35x) but the boost to 63x that the BCO 10mm gave helped pick out the SN more clearly.

Not a good night for observing for any length of time though !

The fact you've managed to observe anything in this weather is an achievement!  Well done John, and hoping those waters recede real soon down your way.  

Thanks. Fortunately we are in the hilly part of North Somerset but it's awful for the folks down on the Somerset Levels :sad:

Well, I finally got it in the 76 at 75x after a lot of looking and doing my darndest to keep the moonlight out of my eyes. Just for one moment I glimpsed three stars in the right spot with the right arrangement, the leftmost (northernmost) being the SN. And then I went inside before my fingers froze solid.

I had a peek tonight too. It's still nice a clear but I feel it's dimmed to around mag 11.3 or so now. It's been a very good SN though, the best I've observed I think, given it's brightness and the accessible and interesting nature of it's host galaxy  :smiley:

Had a quick glimpse Tuesday Night and although it has dimmed to around 11.5, it is still quite obvious in the 8" especially with some

power on it. I am amazed that has stayed easy to see for small-medium scopes for so long. 

Viva 2014J I say.

I can say it nice and loud too, because everyone else is out so there's no shaking of the heads or face palms going on.....but enough

of my probs

Clear skies

Mick

It was still very clear in my 12 inch Dob last night. Magnified * 217 with a 7mm wide angle lense was awesome site. Showed the family who were surprisingly interested!?! Amazing to think it all happened 11.4 million years ago and now it's got to us!

I was still able to catch a glimpse or two of the Supernova last night.  Surprising, considering there was a 1st quarter moon in the sky.  Most of the time I could see nothing where I had seen the Supernova before, but occasionaly it would briefly pop into view.

Does anyone else out there think its brightened up - or am I imagining things?

Last Wednesday it was dim, and this was with no moon and a dark sky site. Tonight with a big silly moon and in a car park in horbury (and 2 miles from wakefield to the north, right under the plough!), it appeared much brighter to my eyes!

Hmmmmmmm

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - been following the SN since discovery @ UCL Mill Hill Obsy late January.

I estimated the SN ~m12.6 last night [Mar19] from my 30s exp pic below - it's certainly faded over the last week or so but it was very good whilst it lasted but will keep shooting it as it's overhead after dusk ;-)

post-21003-0-80850200-1395303436_thumb.j

Archived