Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

callump

Supernova in M82

http://www.aavso.org/data/lcg

You want to plot a curve for SN 2014J, I suggest the last 28 days, and plot Visual and V magnitudes.

It's now distinctly on the decline, but looks like it may stay above mag 11 for another week or so. The Moon's unhelpfully placed now though.

The moon is not much of a problem for viewing the star - M82 is tougher though ! 

andrew

Despite challenging (to put it politely !) observing conditions of rapidly moving clouds, buffeting wind and a bright moon I just about managed to track down M82 and the SN in a clear patch about 30 mins ago. I only risked my 4" refractor because of the wind but I reckon the SN is still around mag 10.6 or maybe a touch dimmer, say 10.8 ?.

I picked the galaxy up with the Baader 18mm classic ortho (35x) but the boost to 63x that the BCO 10mm gave helped pick out the SN more clearly.

Not a good night for observing for any length of time though !

• Like 1

Sounds like some hardcore extreme observing John, nice one :-). Bit too blowy out there for my liking, safely tucked up inside

Stu

The fact you've managed to observe anything in this weather is an achievement!  Well done John, and hoping those waters recede real soon down your way.  

The fact you've managed to observe anything in this weather is an achievement!  Well done John, and hoping those waters recede real soon down your way.  

Thanks. Fortunately we are in the hilly part of North Somerset but it's awful for the folks down on the Somerset Levels :sad:

Had a quick look tonight and the SN seemed a little fainter than a week ago dropping towards Mag 11

Cheers

Ian

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Gosh, not much change to the magnitude in weeks since i last looked! Nice picture, thanks for posting that.

Well, I finally got it in the 76 at 75x after a lot of looking and doing my darndest to keep the moonlight out of my eyes. Just for one moment I glimpsed three stars in the right spot with the right arrangement, the leftmost (northernmost) being the SN. And then I went inside before my fingers froze solid.

Just had a look and can definitely see it has dimmed. Was best with a lot of averted vision. Nice to see its still holding up though!

I had a peek tonight too. It's still nice a clear but I feel it's dimmed to around mag 11.3 or so now. It's been a very good SN though, the best I've observed I think, given it's brightness and the accessible and interesting nature of it's host galaxy  :smiley:

Last night the SN was very dim,even from some darkish,transparent skies,still visible,but maybe its on its way out?The first SN I've seen and am glad to have had the opportunity

• Like 1

Had a quick glimpse Tuesday Night and although it has dimmed to around 11.5, it is still quite obvious in the 8" especially with some

power on it. I am amazed that has stayed easy to see for small-medium scopes for so long. 

Viva 2014J I say.

I can say it nice and loud too, because everyone else is out so there's no shaking of the heads or face palms going on.....but enough

of my probs

Clear skies

Mick

Late to the party I know, but what with weather and work, viewing sessions have been few and far between. Finally got round to seeing it tonight.

Nice and clear in the C9.25.

Hi,

now some weeks after my previous observation I can as well confirm that the SN has dimmed. Was just visible "indirectly" in the 5" MAK yesterday evening (under urban sky).

Achim

Finally had a look at it last night. Better late than never I guess.

Still stands out pretty well.

Still pretty clear in the 9.25 SCT.  Noticeably apparently yellower in colour though.

It was still very clear in my 12 inch Dob last night. Magnified * 217 with a 7mm wide angle lense was awesome site. Showed the family who were surprisingly interested!?! Amazing to think it all happened 11.4 million years ago and now it's got to us!

I was still able to catch a glimpse or two of the Supernova last night.  Surprising, considering there was a 1st quarter moon in the sky.  Most of the time I could see nothing where I had seen the Supernova before, but occasionaly it would briefly pop into view.

Does anyone else out there think its brightened up - or am I imagining things?

Last Wednesday it was dim, and this was with no moon and a dark sky site. Tonight with a big silly moon and in a car park in horbury (and 2 miles from wakefield to the north, right under the plough!), it appeared much brighter to my eyes!

Hmmmmmmm

Looked for it last night and persuaded myself it was just about visible with averted vision, whereas in January it literally jumped out at you, so no, I think its definitely faded.

Hi - been following the SN since discovery @ UCL Mill Hill Obsy late January.

I estimated the SN ~m12.6 last night [Mar19] from my 30s exp pic below - it's certainly faded over the last week or so but it was very good whilst it lasted but will keep shooting it as it's overhead after dusk ;-)

post-21003-0-80850200-1395303436_thumb.j

• Like 1