Howdy!

Chojin

Hi! I'm completely new to astronomy (although have always been astro-curious) :) so I'm just checking in at the Internet's premier stargazing forum

*waves*

I've just acquired a second hand skywatcher 130 and intend to enjoy any clear skies that come our way in the near future. I've already seen Jupiter which, for the first time in a long tme, made me squeal like a school girl with excitement!

I intend on eventually getting into AP if I can, but have a lot to learn until then.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL - Good to have you on board. If AP is your ultimate aim, then take your time to read, read and read some more. There's masses of AP threads detailing a good setup. Go over to the imaging forum and look at peoples images as they generally put their kit in with their capture details.

Enjoy your scope and learning your way around - Stellarium is a good planetarium programme for assisting in this.

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Hello, I've just started myself and I'd totally agree that Stellarium is very good to help find your way around and know what's going around at a particular time. I've also found that I mostly use an ipad/iPhone app called 'go sky watch' although I'm sure there's better ones out there and it's probably not good for affecting my 'night vision' but it's handy to be able to point your phone at an object and know what it is or to know the approximate area of sky for the object you want to see, I'm sure it will be different when I know my way around better.

Enjoy your new scope!

Hi and welcome to the forum. AS others have said above, taking your time to research astrophotography is a good call as there are different types of imaging that require a different level of investment and complexity. To help you further,you might want to get a hold of a copy of Steve Richards', "Making Every Photon Count" which is a comprehensive guide to what kit you need and why you need it to take good consistent images. It will certainly help you achieve an accurate overview to help you decide on a suitable budget not forgetting that a little of this budget should be set aside for any processing software that isn't free on the internet.

Clear skies and hope you enjoy the forum

James

Archived