NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from Spain

wupdigoj

Hello. I have just registered, and think this is one of the best amateur astronomy forums out there. My name is Javier and I live in the spanish basque country, so no the typical spanish weather: lots of rain and clouds, not a lot different from GB. I have been reading this forum for a long time, and found a lot of useful information from its members, so thanks to all for this. I really think that people here are much friendly and helpful than in some equivalent spanish forums (or english language forums, for that matter).

I am a returned aficionado. I began in my early twenties, building a 8" f6 Newton (which I still own and enjoy) with a very good mirror, made by a quite famous catalonian amateur astronomer, recently passed away. Now I am 50 and my 14 years old son is an avid amateur astromer, so I have returned to the hobby. I have recently purchased a SW 127 mak to have a more portable scope, and a new full set of eyepieces to complete my vintage and lacking gear (one kellner a two orthos from the late 80's). Also a RACI 9x50 finder and a Telrad, which I love. I am now waiting for a BST 25 eyepiece, an UHC filter and a chesshire collimator from Sky's the Limit (I first read from  that vendor in this forum, really good prices)

Our favorite objets to observe are DSO, not very easy from our home, in a medium size city with lots of light!. We use to travel to a nearby dark sky spot,  but there has to be  no moon, weekend and no clouds, which means in average once in two months  (last time was  december 7).

Congratulations again for this great forum.  Best regards

Javier

Welcome to SGL Javier - The Basque country is truly beautiful, you live in a lovely place. The weather for me further south has not been kind of late either - Most frustrating. It's great that you and your son are enjoying the hobby together.

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Hi, Javier, and a warm welcome to SGL to both you and your son. I, too, haven't seen a DSO since December 7th - but then I live in Lancashire - one of the cloudiest and wettest parts of the UK! Astronomy certainly teaches patience!

Archived