Narrowband

Jupiter processing challenge.

Space Cowboy

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm, this is the first time I've looked at processing Jupiter for a year or two so aside from a couple old processes I know this is what I came up with.

I'm sure plenty can do better but I quite like the challenge.

Thanks for sharing Stuart. :)

post-8383-0-23341400-1389865268.jpg

Hmm, this is the first time I've looked at processing Jupiter for a year or two so aside from a couple old processes I know this is what I came up with.

I'm sure plenty can do better but I quite like the challenge.

Thanks for sharing Stuart. :)

attachicon.gifDrizzle15_4-46-35-78-Part0000_pipp_g4_b3_ap2.jpg

Wow nice job JB. :)

What are the acquisition details for this? Lots of detail there.

Edit: just checked your flickr page Stuart, sick planetery imaging, very nice.

Glad you are having fun guys get stuck in its all good!

This is a 3000 frame stack Neil so the noise should not be too bad. The final image I processed was a 5000 frame stack but that would make this task too easy! :evil: 

The image was captured with the Auto Dob 250 & colour QHY5L-ll with a 3x tv barlow taking a 3 min avi at around f20. Seeing was wobbly but very good in-between. Slow seeing I think they call it.

Hi Stuart this is my effort. Ohh it felt like an exam...!! :laugh:

Best regards,

Ralph

post-4992-0-15388300-1389873434.png

Glad you are having fun guys get stuck in its all good!

This is a 3000 frame stack Neil so the noise should not be too bad. The final image I processed was a 5000 frame stack but that would make this task too easy! :evil:

The image was captured with the Auto Dob 250 & colour QHY5L-ll with a 3x tv barlow taking a 3 min avi at around f20. Seeing was wobbly but very good in-between. Slow seeing I think they call it.

Its very different  to my 618 300p. Maybe just not used to it. some good attempts by the guys here.

Gain was only 30-40% on this capture Neil with about 50-60fps. I did mention to you a while ago the noise level of this cam seemed quite high especially at higher frame rates. I thought this particular capture was ok for noise so its interesting to hear your thoughts.

Some very interesting versions being produced and I would say at the moment Ralph is in the lead. :smiley:

Can you try the same processing without the drizzle, Stuart?

My mind is still not made up as to the usefulness of drizzle on heavily over-sampled planetary images (other than perhaps as a "smart resize"), but my feeling is that with the images I've tried to use drizzle on it really does bring the noise out.  Could be interesting to compare the two.

James

I normally downsize after using drizzle James. I much prefer the finer detail drizzle produces. For me without drizzle the detail is too bloated. I also think drizzle is not as effective on a smaller scope as the signal to noise is too weak.

This is why I'm still sitting on the fence, Stuart :)  I can't square the benefits people feel they see from using drizzle with the way it is supposed to work.  I'm fairly sure that even Emil says that drizzle only works if the image is undersampled.  It's a mystery :D

James

Well, I've had a crack at it and mine comes out pretty close to Chris's I think.  It's the noise in the blue that seems to be the real killer.  I reckon it could be pushed a bit further otherwise.  I was tempted to split the colours and do a bit of noise reduction on the blue in Photoshop before recombining them, but I have stuff to do this evening...

James

Archived