NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello everyone!

SlimMango

My name is David, 23 years of age.

Just bought my first proper telescope (skywatcher refractor BK 707AZ2). I have had decent experience in photography and thought about taking it a step further with Astrophotography. I live on the East Coast of England and just spent the past few hours between patches of cloud looking at Jupiter and 4 of its moons (not quite sure which). Absolutely stunning. Thought joining an online community would be a brilliant step in my learning curve for this new found hobby of mine. 

Currently using a Canon 1000D with various lenses i got with the telescope (25mm wide angle and a 'super' 10mm). Any Astrophotographers out there with any valuable experience and teachings would be massively appreciated and a huge help, some of this work will be used in my final major project at university. Will post updates as and when I get some decent images!

Hi David and welcome to SGL.  I also came from a photographic background and went straight into Astro Photography.

To attach your camera to the scope you'll need a T-adapter and T-ring for your Canon, the ring fits straight onto the camera (without any lens) and then attach the adaptor to the ring. The adapter goes into the focuser.  Canon also provide you with EOS software you'll find that on your CD which came with your camera, this is very useful if you want to link your camera up to a laptop/pc. You can then setup a series of timed shots without having to manually do it at the scope. Also, download freeware called Stellarium, it will help you with orientating yourself around the night sky.

Happy Stargazing and enjoy your Astro journey,

Hi, David, and a warm welcome to SGL! I, too, recommend the book 'Making Every photon Count' by Steve Richards, This has become something of an essential introduction and guide to astrophotography. it is available from 'FLO' the sponsors of SGL (click on the link at the top of this page).

Hope this helps.

Martin

Archived