Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hooked

Geuse

Hi Guys,

Totally new to all of this, my better half bought me a Celestron 76EQ for Xmas. I had briefly tried it out on a couple of occasions but could see absolutely nothing. Took it out tonight and was gobsmacked with the view of the moon and by the time i saw Jupiter and 4 moons i was totally hooked.

I stay in Aberdeenshire and have quite a big open sky out the back of mine, although there is some light pollution.

Just wondered if there is any tips or advice that anyone would like to pass on and maybe some other targets that a newbie might be able to find?

Thanks in advance ! 

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not a great night tonight for galaxies and nebulae because of the Moon, so planets and the Moon itself are good targets.  There's a list called the "Lunar 100" which is a list of things to look for on the Moon, but for the future I'd recommend a copy of "Turn Left At Orion".  It lists a number of targets for the beginner and provides a good deal of other useful information besides.

James

Hi Geuse, another one hooked - Like the others had to concentrate on Jupiter tonight due to the brightness of the moon, but it was beautiful. I would recommend to anyone starting out a copy of 'Turn Left at Orion'. a really useful guide to the night sky, with images of how objects will appear through a typical 'back-yard' telescope.

Good luck and all the best

Phil

Hey Geuse, welcome to The Lounge. +1 for "Turn Left at Orion".

Have a good look at Orion's belt and sword, and have a look 'north east' / 2 O'clock of it for the star cluster Pleiades - lovely stuff.

Monthly Astronomy Now and Sky at Night Magazines have plenty of ideas for what to look at in that month's night sky. Big Sainsburys or Tescos stock em, or that newsagent with a million different magazines that every town has will have a copy (you know the one I mean). Keep surfing this forum to find out loads and loads.

Enjoy!

Hi, Geuse, and welcome to SGL! If you mhaven't done already I can reommend downloading the free software 'Stellarium' which can be customised for individual locations (light pollution levels etc.)  and even telescopes - giving an idea of what you should be able to see through your eye piece. When the moon is bright you can still see not only planets but also many star clusters and double stars - 'Stellarium' can help locate these, and help plan an evening's viewing. Downloadable from here: http://stellarium.org/

Hope that helps, Martin.

• 2 weeks later...

Well after several nights in my back garden i have finally managed to find something that was not jupiter or the moon and set my eyes on M42 for the first time. I appreciate this is small chips for a lot of users of this site but i was so excited about.

In fact i got so excited that i went indoors and dragged my Mrs out into the cold night to have a look. Needless to say i wont be doing that again..."what that smudge?" !!! 

Quick question, i am just using a standard 20mm eyepiece, how much difference would a barlow lens make to what i am seeing?

Archived