Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Just got my first telescope

JimmyJazz

Hi everyone,

I have just moved house from a tiny little one bed flat in Glasgow to a house in the 'burbs with a back garden, so I asked for a telescope for christmas from santa and got myself a Skywatcher 130p to start looking at stars with something other than my eyes for the first time! It arrived last night and i took it outside to look at the moon through the clouds, I got to see it through hazy clouds for about five minutes, but it was still amazing to see that much detail! so i can't wait for a clearer night to give it a go.

I'm still not too far away from glasgow so the light pollution isn't great, but as its my first forray, I'm happy to go slow and see what i can see.

I've been skimming the forums here for the last couple of weeks and read some really interesting threads, so i just thought i would say hi and introduce myself.

Phil.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Phil and welcome to SGL - Glad that you found us - There's masses of information on here as you've no doubt already seen and one or two folks know what they are talking about as well :grin:

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Yeah, Jupiter first!!!!  Ten or eleven at night, look up very bright is Jupiter. Slightly to the east not over head. You'll see the four Galilean moons either side of it. And some cloud belts on the planets surface. Beautiful object.

I think Saturn is a round but only in the morning before sunrise, I'm not going to see that for a while.

Have fun

Hello Phil, and welcome.

Some of the best advice I was given for a beginner , if you haven't found it yet, is to download 'Stellarium' for your computer and start clicking on the various options on the screen to find your way around the skies. If you also have an android device, 'Sky Map' is very similar, and portable. Both these programmes are free.

Hi everyone,

I have just moved house from a tiny little one bed flat in Glasgow to a house in the 'burbs with a back garden, so I asked for a telescope for christmas from santa and got myself a Skywatcher 130p to start looking at stars with something other than my eyes for the first time! It arrived last night and i took it outside to look at the moon through the clouds, I got to see it through hazy clouds for about five minutes, but it was still amazing to see that much detail! so i can't wait for a clearer night to give it a go.

I'm still not too far away from glasgow so the light pollution isn't great, but as its my first forray, I'm happy to go slow and see what i can see.

I've been skimming the forums here for the last couple of weeks and read some really interesting threads, so i just thought i would say hi and introduce myself.

Phil.

Hi Phil and welcome to SGL. I was blown away buy the detail of the moon the other night during clear skies. i did not use my filter thinking with it only being half moon i did not need it ( not as much bright light to hurt my eyes after time ) But proving that i am a newbie i found out that the moon filter can also help to see more detail. So the filter WILL be used tonight.

Happy stargazing

Well, I've just finished my first night of stargazing. Only about an hour or so (the clouds made an unwelcome return), but I managed to see Jupiter and moons clear as a bell, even some of the cloud bands. Much more than I was expecting from my first go! The 25 & 10 mm eyepieces that came with the telescope both gave brilliantly clear images.

I then went on to have a quick peek at the pleiades and then the moon again, which looked even better when not viewed through clouds.

Hopefully I'll be out again soon!

Archived