NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My 2013 in images

swag72

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're all stunning, fantastic pictures Sara! If I may ask, how do you get on with the Atik? It clearly takes great images (of course the real talent is the person behind the telescope!) and in 2014 I'd finally like to move to CCD from DSLR - your pics definitely suggest the 460 is right up there with the best.

Will

Thanks all for your comments.

@Will - I really like the Atik and I would recommend the camera in an instant. But ......... the images I am currently taking are mosaics as the chip is not as big as I would like. A 2x3 or larger mosaic is hard going. In an ideal world I'd go for an 8300 chip in an instant in a nice QSI camera with integrated filter wheel so that you can still use 1.25" filters. BE realistic about where you think your interests will lie.

Great collection, Sara. I associate you with narrowband, not surprizingly, but that's no mean M101, no ma'am! I think you'll be popping some surprizes with your forthcoming focal length experiments.

On the Atik 460, I've imaged with three examples belonging to guests and it's the sweetest, cleanest camera I've ever used and it has great sensitivity as well. But, as you say, the chip size doesn't sit well with widefield megalomania!  My one outing with a QSI 683 was also enjoyable but since I've never tried an Atik 8300 I don't know how they compare. Worth noting that there is now an intermediate filter size designed with the 8300 in mind. I'm almost tempted to buy an 8300 since I have the filters and wheel gathering dust. It would be a good way to top up resolution in key regions of our 11000 images. I do see your resolution advantage clearly at comparable focal lengths.

Back to the collection; exciting, original, distinctive. Your images always pass my favourite test; does this image have something to say? Yours always do.

Olly

Sara, these are a great collection of images and you should be very proud. I know exactly what you mean about the Atik460 chip size, it's a great camera and has a decent chip size, it's sensitive and is still nicely compatible with 1.25" filters. But just like yourself, I'm increasingly doing mosaics now with my 460 trying to capture more widerfield targets. Keep up the great work though, we're all looking forward to seeing further exciting images from you in 2014.

Martin

Excellent - 450hrs for 17 superb images - must confess I don't have that amount of clear skies so my efforts are all briefly exposed :police:  

Cheers - There's not 450 hours worth in this collection, I managed 435 hours in total this year of kept subs, I wonder how many hours I binned!!! This isn't all of my 2013 images, just the ones that fitted in the square :grin:

It's a collection of images to be very proud of, an excellent year for you! If you do decide to trade that Atik in for a monster chip you know where to call in first to shift it :p

Your imaging time for the year of 400+ hours really makes me wonder how much time I actually manage to get in. Since starting a new job last March my shifts are not ideal for imaging, I work a lot of 5pm - 1am's and with the UK weather never playing ball it seems like I never get started on projects I'd love to do. In fact you have inspired me to keep a log of how many hours I get in over 2014!

Thanks all!

@John - I only know how many hours I keep as I have a log of all images that I've kept and the data in them, just in case I want to go back to them. I have no idea how much I've thrown away - Quite a bit I would think!!

Thanks all for your comments.

@Will - I really like the Atik and I would recommend the camera in an instant. But ......... the images I am currently taking are mosaics as the chip is not as big as I would like. A 2x3 or larger mosaic is hard going. In an ideal world I'd go for an 8300 chip in an instant in a nice QSI camera with integrated filter wheel so that you can still use 1.25" filters. BE realistic about where you think your interests will lie.

Thanks Sara, top tip. I have to admit I do like the seriously wide field aspect of imaging and I have noted that you are particularly great at mosaic images. i suspect in my case though the larger chips will hit the budget barrier! Having said all of that, the GTF81 I reckon only has another 19mm of back focus left in it which doesn't allow a lot for a 1.25 filter wheel and CCD so I'd end up spending money to modify there too!.

Cheers

Will

Sara,

I cannot comprehend how many hours of imaging, compiling, selecting & processing

you must have amassed to finish with those awe inspiring images. They are truly wonderful.

Here's to a fantastic 2014. For you, another brilliant imaging year.

cheers

Steve

Thanks Ewan, Will and Steve - I am hoping for a bumper 2014!!

@Ewan - I am only an amateur :smiley:

@Will - Mosaics are not difficult per se. But they are time consuming, something that you are not blessed with in the UK I suppose. AP is full of compromises all round .......... sadly :grin:

Archived