Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Just a couple links members may find handy ???

spaceboy

Not sure if this is the best section for this so mods please feel free to move.

I hope these links come in handy for someone. I know they have for me on occasions but often these items take a little looking for so I thought I would try and save members the hassle of trolling the net.

SKY-WATCHER (or most Chinese made finder scopes) 9x50 in particular ..............Here is a link for replacements of those 50mm rubber O rings that always seem to go brittle and fall apart http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/METRIC-NITRILE-RUBBER-O-RINGS-2MM-DIAMETER-C-S-SIZES-35-5MM-ID-TO-59MM-ID-/321255903917?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item4acc5812ad#ht_795wt_1164 ID 50mm C/S 2mm

A cheaper alternative to BOB's Knobs for SKY-WATCHER Explorer and Skyliner Newtonians ( or most Chinese made Newts) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290913386250?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_1629wt_1402 these save any risk of dropping Allen keys on to your primary and allow you collimation of your secondary in seconds. Also to note these can also be a replacement / alternative (with a little shortening) to the thumbscrews used in focuser 2" drawtubes.

And the one thing I love doing more than anything in my spare time...............YES you guessed it............flocking http://www.wilko.com/dc-fix-sticky-back-plastic/d-c-fix-original-deco-self-adhesive-film-velour-black-348-0005/invt/0309578?VBMST=sticky I have paid out a small fortune for Protostar adhesive flocking in the past but those days are long behind me and I have to say it's lucky they are as I have no doubt at the benefits of reducing stray light and to do it at the minimum of expense then all the better.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Spaceboy, these are great money saving tips. :grin:

I have just fitted these secondary adjusters to my 250px dobsonian and must say they are a big improvement.

I would advise anyone with a Sky-Watcher dobsonian to get these, they were very easy to fit, just remove and install them one at a time remembering to keep the telescope horizontal while fitting to avoid dropping anything on the primary mirror.

All I need to do now is get the tube flocked...

• 7 months later...

And the one thing I love doing more than anything in my spare time...............YES you guessed it............flocking http://www.wilko.com/dc-fix-sticky-back-plastic/d-c-fix-original-deco-self-adhesive-film-velour-black-348-0005/invt/0309578?VBMST=sticky I have paid out a small fortune for Protostar adhesive flocking in the past but those days are long behind me and I have to say it's lucky they are as I have no doubt at the benefits of reducing stray light and to do it at the minimum of expense then all the better.

I use this self adhesive velour plastic from Wilkos for flocking 'camping mat' dew shields, its great stuff and much cheaper than the 'Astro' makes.

• 1 month later...

NEXT ONE is for those wanting to make their own dew shields. OK there are camping mats and yoga mats but for me none seemed to work as well as PLAIN BLACK CLOSED - LD45 PLASTAZOTE POLYETHYLENE FOAM 6mm from http://www.rhnuttall.co.uk/contact/ in Birmingham.

I used some to make a 20" long dew shield for my 300P but could have easily gone the full recommended 24" with no sag.

The material supports itself in a tube shape well, it's black (for those like me who are fussy), it is strong enough while still light enough not to cause balancing problems and it can be sewn with relative ease for those wishing to add Velcro tabs. I cannot comment on how well it would glue or accept duct taping but I have seen other members staple camping mats in to tubes with success so I cannot see why it cannot be done with the LD45.

By far the biggest advantage I found is that being able to buy by the meter ( x 1.5m width) your not restricted by camping / yoga mat dimensions which for users of large aperture telescopes is ideal.

• 1 year later...

ANOTHER ONE FOR THE LIST:  While they do need a little trim down on the length using a Stanley or other sharp craft knife these make an ideal replacement for the small rubber feet often found (but soon lost or worn) on new EQ5, HEQ5, AZ4 stainless tripods http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281200900285?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&var=580245853895&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT While they will stay put with a little push and a twist they will benefit from the use of a little silicone sealant or similar flexible adhesive if you plan to use your tripod out in the field where the sinking of the feet in to the ground may suck the rubber tips off when lifting the tripod at the end of a session. On a solid surface they seem to remain putt and go to add a slightly dampening effect also.

The 12mm will again with a trim to length and a few twists to mate the rubber, fit EQ6 / CG5 2" tripod feet although probably not as well and the next size up would.

Thanks for the link, have ordered more flocking. What I'm after now is polarscope grub screw replacements. I've scavenged some spare Barlow and diagonal ones for one mount, now looking for three more ! It makes a very easy task to adjust these by hand and a terrific difference to tracking accurately,

Nick.

I found that the thumbscrews found on / in some PC's are often the same size as diagonals or barlows so it should only be a case of popping along to your local Maplins with the polar scope to find one that suits.

10 minutes ago, cotterless45 said:

Thanks for the link, have ordered more flocking. What I'm after now is polarscope grub screw replacements. I've scavenged some spare Barlow and diagonal ones for one mount, now looking for three more ! It makes a very easy task to adjust these by hand and a terrific difference to tracking accurately,

Nick.

They are the M3's can't remember the length I think it was 5-6mm.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321247066609?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&var=510179951733&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

And some thumbscrews here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321247066609?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&var=510179951733&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I'm looking for a very low profile male c-mount to 1.25" barrel with filter thread, barrel no longer than 15mm. I'm looking for barrel lengths 5,10 and 15mm. It's for getting different distances from the reducer to the sensor.

Thanks for these useful links spaceboy, I've managed to miss it since you posted it until now.

Just ordered some flocking material from Wilko as I'm getting some reflections in my Baader MPCC and hoping this helps.

Also, this may be the place to ask. Does anyone know where I can get some primary collimation knob replacements for the screws on a blue tube SW 150p?

If I can get some I'll also get some RC car springs that LeeB mentions above. It'll make collimation MUCH simpler!

• 2 months later...
On ‎22‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 11:27, Brent said:

Thanks for these useful links spaceboy, I've managed to miss it since you posted it until now.

Just ordered some flocking material from Wilko as I'm getting some reflections in my Baader MPCC and hoping this helps.

Also, this may be the place to ask. Does anyone know where I can get some primary collimation knob replacements for the screws on a blue tube SW 150p?

If I can get some I'll also get some RC car springs that LeeB mentions above. It'll make collimation MUCH simpler!

Sorry it's a little late in coming but have a look through this thread as it may help

Archived