Not me, its the Mrs

TheOldHobbit

Hi folks.  Strange I know that I should be setting up an account with your good selves, yet I presently have no interest in star gazing  :huh:   To cut a long story short, my nearest and dearest has always been on about getting a telescope but other things just seemed to get in the way.  Bringing up the kids, working, paying the bills etc, so after many years of listening to her putting off buying into her first starter scope, we have gone and done it !!

We have bought her a sky watcher evostar 90 with a starter pack for Christmas and like many, we have blundered in and bought it with no knowledge at all.  We did ask lots of questions from the shop and to be honest they appeared to be very open and upfront with their advice.  

I hope to introduce her to this site shortly after Christmas so she can ask lots and lots of questions and who knows, I might even get the bug also.  

Thanks for reading and I hope to be popping in from time to time in the very near future. 

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to the lounge,

the Evostar 90 was my first scope on an EQ2, it's a good starter scope,

you will be amazed at what you can observe with it, but aperture fever

was my downfall, I still use it as a grab and go scope as it only takes a

few minutes to set up, once you get the hang of it, the mount is a bit

wobbly but it settles in seconds, be careful not to tighten the tripod legs

to tight, as I did and snapped the plastic bracket, which is still taped up

now, but it is a good scope for the money, and I hope both of you enjoy

yourselves, and I think you will get the bug. Enjoy!

Good Luck and Clear Sky's

Hello and welcome.

The evostar 90 is what I've just bought for myself (well the equivalent scope by bresser but they're pretty much the same beast) and yes aperture fever will strike, I was looking for a larger scope before I even collected this one.

The other and probably best move you could make is finding a local astronomy society

Welcome to SGL.

It goes like this: -

Nice view of Jupiter & its 4 moons.

Saturn is brilliant the first time you see it and everytime after that.

All sorts of other things around, maybe a comet or two.

Then you look at something that you cannot quite make out.

Then a bigger scope beckons, I think you know where this is going. :grin:

The great thing is that you are looking at objects you have only seen in books before.

Enjoy!

Clear Skies.

Archived