NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Battle of the finders

I've been struggling with the stock red dot on my scope.

1. It seems way to flimsy. When I try to adjust it, sometimes just by touching the knobs the dot jumps way off of alignment and I find myself chasing it around.

2. I'm not a contortionist and my back is bad the way it is. Squatting down behind the scope to align is a pain. Plus reaching way up to the front of the scope to make adjustments make my shoulders ache. Also reaching way up in the dark fumbling for the knobs, I keep bumping the finder itself. (see 1)

I like the idea of a Rigel Quickfinder and have seen kind words about it on SGL. But I assume that weird bending is required like the red dot.

I like the idea of a RACI. Solves the problem of contorting my body but I wouldn't have the bullseye for star hopping.

Any suggestions to help lean me more one way or the other?

the "telrad" is a quality red dot finder with a bullseye target, but it will not help your back problems. i use a telrad to get me in right area and a 40mm eyepiece for star hoping.

i found this right angle finder scope with an illuminated reticle http://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/Products/9_x_50_Right_Angle_Correct_.html

You'd only normally have to bend behind a telrad or Rigel Finder fora moment , as it's used for getting within a knats doodaa of the area/ object your after.

Rigels sit higher on the tube , but riser plates can be had for telrad ( 2" or 4") which make them slightly less awkward .

If however you don't want to be crouching behind them I can only suggest a right angled finder. They are very comfortable to use .

Both is doable, however I found that if you have a low power eyepiece like a 32 mm plossl , then use the telrad to get close and a low power to use as finder. It worked on my old frac. Same as bunny god suggests above.

Maybe a combination of both? 2 mounts on the scope? Or is that just crazy for my size scope?

If you can fit both.......happy days. On a smaller scope I find a Telrad and wide finder eyepiece will work as well as anything, but if you can fit a RACI finder too you'll be one happy bunny when it comes to locating stuff.

Having a good finder set up isn't crazy on any scope :)

I eventually abandoned the supplied RDF with the Meade. On a good day it was spot on, but on too many occasions it was a real pain to align correctly. It's currently languishing in the box awaiting some surgery. Sounds like a job for the Christmas break. I now use a Telrad and can't fault it at all. Adjustment is so easy. If I had to say anything negative about the Telrad, it would be that it's a little on the large side, but that doesn't cause me any issues so all is good. I've also got a 8x50 RACI finder scope too, so have the best of all possible worlds. I eventually got a spare base plate for my second scope, so no need for a second finder.

Dave.

I'm not sure what you're wanting from a finder so no idea if this helps. I had the simple red dot finder but I now prefer to use the 9x50 right angle finder. You get to see more which is handy especially is the sky isn't ideal or the thing you're location is small/dim. For example I can rarely see M31 and never M82/M81 with the naked eye but with 9x magnification I can get a view on them to check they are centred - which is also really handy if you're imaging since you can't keep swapping eyepiece for camera, once the camera is set up it stays put.

So I'd definitely recommend the 9x50 right angle on a newt, very convenient and gives surprisingly good views, like one half of a pair of 9x50 binoculars I guess.

If you particularly want a red dot the telerad seems to be the defacto finder of choice?

Maybe a combination of both? 2 mounts on the scope? Or is that just crazy for my size scope?

A Telrad and RACI is a fine combination if you have room to mount both. The RACI is really good as it shows the same view as your star atlas.

It is vital that you have a finder system that suits you as your scope is pretty useless if you can't point it where you want.

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm starting to get it narrowed down.

Another quick question. If I get the Telrad, Does it have to be placed at the far end of the scope? I was thinking of mounting it a bit farther back. Make it easier to reach when I'm behind the scope. 

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm starting to get it narrowed down.

Another quick question. If I get the Telrad, Does it have to be placed at the far end of the scope? I was thinking of mounting it a bit farther back. Make it easier to reach when I'm behind the scope.

I would say it would be best placed at the front / top end otherwise you'll have to get lower down to use it .

On a Celestron Nexstar 130mm scope the Telrad is going to be huge - they're ugly as well lol. But they're a brilliant accessory and I use one along side a raci on my dob. I would advise you just need a raci rather than both on the smaller size scopes. If you don't have one already also get an adjustable stool or ironing chair and you're back and neck will both be the happier for it. Hth :)

I changed the eyepiece on my RACI to convert it from 10x60 to 7x60 finderscope and for visual finding it has made a huge difference - previously I could see very well, but couldn't find my way round, now (with 7x60) I can find my way and see very well as well.

Having said so, I think I will still fit something like Telrad (if only I can create 90 deg version of it :tongue: ) to get my initial bearings.

I have have had the Rigel on my 130EQ and it made a big difference over the standard RDF and you can mount it almost anywhere on the tube (within reason!) and has quite a lot of adjustment and with it having a small footprint and being tall its not too bad on the back. Eventually however I succumbed to a right angles corrected 9x50 (5 degree) optical finder. This needed a little DIY to mount it  (less than an hours work)  but works really nicely. Some people say a right angled finder is a bit counter intuitive (not looking where you are viewing) but I do not find it so. (I can also travel north to south without turning the map round!)

And yes I have been known to use both - but not quite at the same time.

• 1 month later...

I have mentioned it elsewhere, but it's worth repeating here - my solution to using both RACI and Rigel on a small reflector avoiding bending as much as possible (my neck hurts even without having to contort for astronomy and I am 6'4"):

Rigel mounted on top of RACI finderscope:

IMG_7734.jpg

and when using Rigel, with finderscope's eyepiece rotated out of the way:

IMG_7737.jpg

I ended up getting a Telrad for Christmas and as soon as I opened it I realized there was no way it was going to fit on the SLT. But that's ok because it looks really good sitting next to the 8x50 RACI on the Z10. Haven't had enough time to get the dob out for first light yet so I'll let you all know what I think of the RACI and Telrad.

On a side note, after using the red dot more and more it is starting to grow on me. Used with an illuminated reticle EP I have no problem with alignment now. It is still a little awkward squatting down behind the scope but I like the results I've been getting so I guess it's acceptable.

Archived