NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

healeddoughnut

Hi, total newbie here, the wife bought me my first scope, its a Celestron Omni XLT150 which is just brilliant. I have a 2 x Barlow lens, fairly good quality, and 3 lenses inclusive of the 25mm which are a 10mm and a 6mm.

So far i have been able to see the moon in glorious detail, Jupiter and its 4 moons, Saturn, Uranus but thats all i am afraid. I havent been able to see Neptune, which is about now, nor the milky way or any nebulas. Does anyone have any advice helpful tips for a novice to get the best out of his scope, be it lenses, focusing etc i would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for your time and any replies you deem worthy of sending a new member, hopefully for a long time to come. Kindest regards, Steve

Welcome to SGL Steve. As regards the Milky Way. All you need for that is a dark sky and a pair of eyeballs. One of my favourite sights when I can get to a dark site. A dark sky is probably the single best way of having a good nights viewing.

Massive thanks to ronl and bunnygod1 for the links. Hi to all and again many thanks for the extremely warm welcome to SGL.

Charon, whereabouts in Crete are you? I used to live in Gouves and Kokini Hani.

I actually got to see Uranus the other night, although very small, it was still quite a thrill, Mercury was supposed to follow but i didnt get to see :(

Archived