NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Greeting from Malaysia

Deep

Hi all ! I am a student from University Science of Malaysia ( University Sains Malaysia ) and I am currently studying chemistry as my major for degree.I am 20 years old.I get very interested in the sky after the introduction of my university`s astronomy Prof that my university in very active in star gazing. I am still very new in this field. Currently still looking for starter equipment to start my star gazing. I am also considering to take astronomy as my minor. Nice to meet u guys  :smiley: 

Hi Deep and welcome to the lounge

there is everything you need here in SGL, it's a very

friendly forum which will help you with everything to

do with astronomy, just ask.

and good luck with your studies,

Clear Sky's

Hi Deep and welcome to the lounge

there is everything you need here in SGL, it's a very

friendly forum which will help you with everything to

do with astronomy, just ask.

and good luck with your studies,

Clear Sky's

Hi Ronl ,tHanks for that ! Hope you good luck too.

A lot will depend on what it is that you want to do with a scope. Simply no scope at the starting level will do everything, also you need to decide if imaging will come into this and what form of imaging.

On the fully visual side and ignoring size to an extent and taking into account cost and a first scope the Sky Watcher 150P Dobsonian is a reasonable option. It will show most of what is up in the sky to observe and would I expect last you some time. In all but the rare circumstance it is not relevant to consider any form of imaging with this scope however. So do not think you will get it and manage some imaging. No motors, no tracking, you push, nudge, kick it to locate anything and you push, nudge, kick it to follow whatever across the sky. :eek: :eek: 

On the SCT/Mak side there is again Sky Watcher Mak's. Shorter and longer. The tubes are short as the optics are folded. They have a narrow field of view. Traditionally said to be good on planets, but you will see Jupiter equally as good in the 150P as the 127 Mak. The common mount for these are Alt/Az goto's. The 127's may be a bit heavy to haul round easily if no car. Think there is a 102mm option that is a good size - I have a 105mm Mak. When set up and aligned they should locate objects for you, one drawback is they need power - obvious but can be overlooked. Generall with an Alt/Az Mak you can go imaging planets (all 3 of them :grin: ), Marts might be a problem, but Saturn and Jupiter will come out good, you would use a webcam for this aspect. They are not suitable for DSO imaging.

For imaging you are looking at a fast scope on an equitorial mount with dual motors and you attach a DSLR. A setup for this is usually selected from the individual components, At a club in the South West of the UK an "inexpensive" imaging set up is something like:
Skywatcher EQ5, dual motors, William Optics 71mm refractor, DSLR.

The setup is not big and you can view with the scope pretty well.

A EQ5 goto may be nicer but costs more, I have given what I think is the basic requirement.

You would image by polar aligning the scope, locating the object, taking several long exposure (30 sec) pictures and stacking them, then processing.

What does the university have as equipment?

They may have something sat in a storeroom doing nothing.

One thing to find out is if you get a scope would the lecturers want/expect to see anything produced from it - an image - if so then that pushes you towards the Mak or imaging side.

Once you get a scope there come the expense of eyepieces. :eek:

It has got to be warmer where you are then it is here. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Welcome to SGL Deep - Glad that you found us. There's masses of information on the forum already and if you can't find something, there's always someone who knows the answer!

Enjoy your studies and look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

• 1 month later...

Archived