SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

UFO? A Lucky Catch Though!

Superdavo

I want to immediately make clear that I'm not some crackpot who claims to have been visited by aliens, but this is an unidentified object (until someone helps me identify it), and as far as I could tell, was flying, so by definition, is a UFO. 

It was on my second-to-most recent observing night. I looked up and saw a light that was flashing as bright as the full Moon. It flashed, disappeared, then flashed again a little further in its path, about a second later. It kept doing this for as long as I could see it. Assuming it was just a helicopter or plane with its lights aimed towards me, I pointed my finder at it, hoping to see it between the flashes. Nothing. It was moving far too fast to attempt to use my 'scope on it directly. As this mysterious object moved along through Lyra, I noticed that it was passing through an area of sky that my camera was snapping already, photographing the Milky Way!

The Image, showing the object as a series of flashes passing through the field of view, in the top-right

post-29419-0-85591400-1384373738_thumb.j

A UFO-free sub of the same area 

post-29419-0-17725000-1384373850_thumb.j

Personally, I'm stumped. Any ideas?

David 

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow nice catch. I like a good mystery & I'm hooked on UFO stories, although I pretty much believe none of them anymore. There are still plenty of mysterious things going on up there which are hard to explain. I'll try at an intermittent flaring satellite for this image.

I was looking at an aircraft a couple of nights back that had a white flashing light on it, couldn't see the aircraft to any extent and it was lower then one would have been in your image.

Seemed "small" as in a private jet size, wonder if you have captured one at a greater altitude. From what I saw it would fit.

Not sure if there is a defined frequency for the flashes on something like a Learjet or similar.

I've just put 3 Lucky Dips on Friday's Euro Millions so I'm all gambled out. But if I had another £6 I'd put it on that trail being a plane :)

Just looks like high visibility strobe lights to me.

Although aircraft have red and green navigational lights they are directional to some degree and not as bright as anti collision strobes. 

Either a plane or a tumbling sattelite.. could be either, the frequency would suggest a plane, but then I'd expect to see other effects (wing tip lights etc)... so... on that basis, I'm going with a tumbling sattelite... It'd be worth checking it out on calsky.com and see if they can provide an ID based on the location and time.

I can never understand why UFO's (extraterrestrial?) would need to have lights on.  :confused:

Do you think they have brake lights also ?

You can hear the flying saucer examiner saying "ok can you tell me what the stopping distance is at warp 5.39  " :grin:

I bet some of you will probably know the answer !!!

I can never understand why UFO's (extraterrestrial?) would need to have lights on.  :confused:

So I can land in your dark sites without squashing the local astronomers. And in the same way as your terrestrial car lights transfix rabbits in their glare, my lights attract humans looking for a free probe :-)

I think its pretty much been answered as aircraft lights. I cant think of anything that would give such a perfect pattern?Matt.Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk

Or, in other words, stick to topic or it will get closed!

Archived