Hello Stargazers : )

Astro_LJ

I'm LJ.

I'm an American who grew up under the dark, rural skies of Missouri . I was always in complete awe of the Milky Way for as long as I can remember. I used to sit on my front porch, just looking up and listening to owls and coyotes in the background. That started it all for me. I'm currently living in Warwickshire, UK and, around 2 years ago, I decided to pursue my interest in Astronomy and joined a local society. I was inspired by someone's Astro images and ended up taking a nosedive into the wonderful world of Deep Sky Astrophotography.

My first scope was a Celestron 127 SLT Goto. I now have my beloved Skywatcher ED80 DS Pro & HEQ5. Currently, I image with a DSLR only (Canon 500D). I wanted to be fully familiar with my equipment before I upgraded my gear further. I'm now pleased to say that I'm now feeling restricted with my Astrophotography due to the lack of gear I have so..it's time for the next step for me. Autoguiding. Which, by the way, I'm looking for recommendations for a stand alone autoguider and guidescope for my ED80. Can you suggest anything?

It's really nice to be a part of the forum. I've been to a few SGL Star Parties and I've met some really wonderful people. I haven't been online in quite a while but, I hope to meet some more SGL friends!

Thanks for reading!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL LJ - Guiding is a good next step in your imaging that's for sure. The standalone guider that springs to mind is the Synguider (http://www.firstlightoptics.com/guide-cameras/skywatcher-synguider-autoguider.html) - They get mixed reviews, some love them and others not so. If you can get a laptop in the field, that is an fairly easy way to guider, with a second hand QHY5 and an adapter finder guider - Light and cheap. Then you can download PHD (free as well) and you'll be away!

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Welcome LJ. I'm am American still living in America (sigh) but of 98% British stock. There remain some reasonably dark skies along the Mississippi River.

The thing about this hobby is that you're pretty much in upgrade mode most of the time. I learn something new on SGL, just about every day!

Hi LJ, welcome to The Lounge. An ED80 on an HEQ5 is my next plan; be good to pick your brains when I get going.

In case you've not found them yet - find below a couple of imaging sites that I've found inspirational - both authors post here on SGL and are v friendly.

http://swagastro.weebly.com/index.html

https://sites.google.com/site/caroleastroimaging/

Sorry we've no coyotes or dark skies. We got owls though!

S

Archived