Hi from Bala, North Wales

FiB

Well, having lived here and gasped at the stunning night skies here for nearly 3 years (we have mega dark skies here) - its time!  Mum has always been avid stargazer and this year bought me Phillips Stargazing 2013 to get me going.  Have spotted lots and ready to learn more and see more.  I bought her a telescope from Aldi a few years ago which has sat in her cupboard as she lives in Brum and cant really get to grips with it - having read other posts the light pollution prob doesn't help, so I'm going to fetch that and I expect I'll have some questions there!  I would like to buy some binoculars but not much cash - any recommnedations?  I would like to be able to take landscape night sky photos so have already picked up a tip on a recommended book thanks!  If anyone wants a free camp here in exchange for a lesson/photograph of our night sky landscape here .... give me a shout. ( https://www.facebook.com/pages/A-bit-of-Bala-Beauty-Camping-and-Glamping/158660187617688?ref=hl )

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi FiB from across the mountains in Llanfairfechan! Fantastic skies in the Bala area- lucky chap. I have recently purchased a set of Olympus DPS-1 binos (10 x 50) and they are generally considered a good starter. I'm very pleased with mine and they are about £45 on Amazon. Welcome!

Hi FiB from across the mountains in Llanfairfechan! Fantastic skies in the Bala area- lucky chap. I have recently purchased a set of Olympus DPS-1 binos (10 x 50) and they are generally considered a good starter. I'm very pleased with mine and they are about £45 on Amazon. Welcome!

Brill, diolch - on Christmas list!

Hi and welcome to the forum. If binoculars are going to be your main observing tool, you might want to take a look at this website which provides some really useful technical advice along with a monthly list of targets to find and enjoy.

Clear skies

James

Hi and welcome to the forum. If binoculars are going to be your main observing tool, you might want to take a look at this website which provides some really useful technical advice along with a monthly list of targets to find and enjoy.

Clear skies

James

BRILLIANT - thank you so much for that link! 

Archived