Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Newcomers Feedback

Iv only been here for a day and have one question/suggestion/musing as it were but Im sure its in place for a reason.

Im surmising that to post in the 'tell us about yourselves' thread and start a new topic introducing yourself, you need to have already posted on a couple of things and been here for a day or so. I couldnt spot this rule exactly in the welcome pages but from the others that you have (that are all very sensible I might add) Im guessing thats the case.

In my specific case, if what I have guessed turns out to be true, this is my second post so beware of another newbie introduction incoming!

Maybe this has been said before - I didn't look through all 452 previous posts on this thread......

Policy for access to the Buy and Sell section

Access to the Buy and Sell section - 50 posts and have been a member for 30 days

I appreciate that there maybe some concerns about scammers but it seems a real shame that just when someone maybe starting out and looking to acquire their intial setup, that is exactly when the above 50 post rule prevents them accessing the Buy and Sell section. It is also depriving sellers of access to some of the folks most likely to be in the market for second-hand gear. I don't know what I have missed out on as I cannot see that section and will be unlikely to be able to see it for many, many months. Only 47 more posts to go :smiley:

Anyway, just think it is a shame. Otherwise, in my limited time on here, I think the forums and the membership seem excellent.

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

I like this site, although there are two things I find annoying.

1) I can't edit until I reach 250 posts. Fine, I'll just use extra posts to correct myself and I'll get to 250 quicker!

2) The bulk of threads seem to go in the general beginners section. I'd suggest they need to be moderated into the correct forums more often, otherwise nobody visits those areas and posts put in the correct area are thus ignored.

Otherwise, great site and the best astronomy forum I've found!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

Very new to SGL but have so far been really pleased with the welcome, the help and support I've received. Thank you.

It's also great to see how no one accepts that there is a daft, silly or stupid question. Everyone seems to remember where they started, even the most experienced members.

If I have one comment or question, this is it:

To be able to browse the classified section new members must have at least 50 posts. The thing is, whenever I've been on other forums on any subject, I've always tried to browse or search for an answer before I post a question.

In fact some forums, and I'm not talking astronomy here, would ask you to do this first. In some cases, if you ask a question a typical reply might be............. 'search the threads'.

OK.....so my point is....yep...getting there eventually: phew.....

When people first start out in this fascinating hobby, they are probably most at need of reasonably priced second hand equipment. Equipment sold by fellow astronomers through a safer, mutual media. Ie; They are least likely 'to get ripped off'.

I realise 50 posts isn't a huge number....I myself do have lot's of questions to ask. However I would love to be able to browse the ads now.....rather than buy elsewhere.

I think I understand the reasoning behind this rule...is it to stop scamming etc? But I just think people may post questions for the sake of getting up to 50 posts.

Please understand, this is not a criticism in any way, merely an observations as a new member. I'm sure I probably don't see the 'bigger picture'.

I suppose it speaks volumes the fact that this site is actually asking for the opinions of newcomers...THANK YOU. :smiley:

Howard

Thanks to all welcoming on this adventure. Hopefully I will not ask to many dumb questions. I have my scope for about a month and am just getting comfortable with some of its features. Thanks again.

Ron

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As a moderator myself on a popular motoring website, I have been very impressed with the Stargazers Lounge after starting only one new thread!

The readiness of others to offer help, advice, encouragement, or alternative ideas and solutions, and all in a very short space of time is excellent. Moreover the quality of replies in PMs from staff was impressive, open ,friendly, and very welcoming.

My only observation so far is that I remain slightly puzzled that there appears to be no forum here dedicated to offering Classified ads or even links to gear on eBay or other selling sites. I imagine that there is a good reason for this and expect it has been tried in the past (?)

Finally, a very BIG "thank you" to the staff, administrators and anyone involved with funding of the site.

• Like 1

Is there anyway a proper app could be made for this sight so you could get notifications etc

You can get notifications sent to your email in your settings. Thats how mine is configured, so i read the posts on my phone, then come on if i want to reply when on the go.

I've been on here for only a couple of months, being new to astronomy. Since I started using this site, every query or information I have asked has been answered.

Great people of all ages, from novice to advanced have helped me along my way, including staff (moderators).

Keep up the good work everyone.

It's like having a giant encyclopedia. I can't see how it can get any better than it already is.

Gary

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I only just joined but I know this is a great place to seek advice and share any knowledge I might gain in future, when/if I get to grips with it all. Apologies in advance for asking what will inevitably be a stupid question or several.

Since joining this site, everybody that has spent the time answering my questions

have been helpfull,patient and have taken the time to explain things so that i

understand. Thank you all keep up the good work!

Clear Skies

Tim

Theres no such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid answer :)

being the beginner that i am Mattscar i'm full of both!! lol

• Like 1

Just joined in today. I'm really impressed with the database of this forum as topics practically cover every aspect of astronomy. I'm glad that i joined in as the information contained is great.

Regards,

Stephen

this is a great forum with kind helpful members. I would like to know why wouldn't the new members have the ability to edit their posts. We all men and we all make mistakes, we all should have it :grin:

When do you get this feature anyway?