Hello from Norfolk coast

Cyclismo

Hello from the Norfolk coast!

Recently moved to this area (very near Kelling Heath, btw - but missed the recent star party there) from the USA through marriage to a British citizen.  Outside our door step it is just a one minute walk up into a National Trust park looking to the sea. On my previous visits here I knew I'd have to purchase a telescope to take advantage of the beautiful skies here once I settled for good.

I was always interested in astronomy as a child, owning the usual basic small refractor. I had purchased a book called A Field Guide to the Stars and Planets by Donald Menzel (a 1964 edition) which became my personal astronomy bible and guide to the heavens. I still have it!

In the late 70s/early 80s I stepped up my interest and joined the local astronomy club. It was at this time I purchased an early version of the Coulter Optics 13.1" Dobsonian (blue tube version) and some TeleVue Plossl eyepieces and 2.5x barlow, and a couple of filters. This scope was amazing! After a few short years my interest diminished and I eventually sold the scope (kept, and still have the eyepieces and filters). I was given an Astrocan and this, along with binoculars, were my only windows to the sky for many, many years. They both served me well for my interest at the time.

Around 2006, I entered a raffle and won a new Meade ETX125EC (only cost $100 USD in raffle tickets!). This gradually brought back my interest in astronomy, but for some reason I was not too happy with the Meade. Not sure why, maybe I was spoiled by the 13" dobsonian some years back? I eventually sold it before my move to England.

I've been doing a lot of research on telescopes since arriving here, and came across this wonderful forum of which I've been lurking and reading past advice, suggestions and ideas.  I wanted something portable, quick and easy to set up and use, and have good optics. Really only interested in observing, and not imaging. I decided on the Skywatcher Heritage 130P and purchased one from FLO. So far, it's been great, especially on the moon and certain planets and Messier objects. I was really hoping to resolve something like M13 better with this scope, but I'm sure I'm asking a lot for this aperture to do this.

I made a light shroud for it using an excellent idea on this forum posted by cotterless45, basically a stuff sack (I used a felt lined one - the kind used to create a camping pillow). I wanted it to be as portable as possible and still have the truss retract without removing the shroud. It did sag a little bit, so I fitted an 8" embroidery hoop on the truss and this helped to keep the shroud from sagging - and the truss still retracts (mostly).

Well, after all this, I decided I should finally join this forum. Not sure how much of a contributor I might be, but it's nice having this forum available. It's been extremely helpful!

Cheers!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a great forum, you're well surrounded by local friends here.

I visited that stretch of coast this past June. Lovely spot.

I also was weened on Menzel's book. Wish I still had my copy!

Welcome to SGL, Cyclismo!

You and I have a lot in common. I'm also an American who married a British citzen and ended up over here. Did she say it was too cold where you lived, or was it because there was no 'culture'? It was both for me!

I also had the 64 edition of 'The Field Guide'; also my only source for star charts and information. It's still sitting in a friend's basement in Michigan. Coulter Odyssey? Mine was the 10.1" version. Had it for about 10 years until the mirror was broken.

What part of the US are you from?

Do you miss baseball?

Dana

Welcome to SGL, Cyclismo!

You and I have a lot in common. I'm also an American who married a British citzen and ended up over here. Did she say it was too cold where you lived, or was it because there was no 'culture'? It was both for me!

I also had the 64 edition of 'The Field Guide'; also my only source for star charts and information. It's still sitting in a friend's basement in Michigan. Coulter Odyssey? Mine was the 10.1" version. Had it for about 10 years until the mirror was broken.

What part of the US are you from?

Do you miss baseball?

Dana

Baseball is normally on Sat (Sky) TV if you have the BT Sports channels (there free to BT Broadband users) you also get ESDN which shows shed loads of baseball.......

Archived