Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To EQ or not to EQ that is my question at the moment when deciding what to buy for my birthday.

To be honest Vicky I think astrophotography is well beyond me at the moment, but probably like most I will want to do some eventually. I am aware of the rotation thing if using alt/azimuth and aware that eq mounts don't have that particular issue, but as of now anyway I'm not sure and undecided but leaning toward the celestron evolution 9.25 for other reasons.

Eric

To be honest Vicky I think astrophotography is well beyond me at the moment, but probably like most I will want to do some eventually. I am aware of the rotation thing if using alt/azimuth and aware that eq mounts don't have that particular issue, but as of now anyway I'm not sure and undecided but leaning toward the celestron evolution 9.25 for other reasons.Eric

Wow! Right scope! You don't do things by half lol. Wouldn't fancy hiding the cost of that from the missus lol ;)

Well, if it is as good at Chris and Neil say the Evolution 6 is, then you will be in for a treat! :)

You'll be able to do imaging with that using shorter exposures - lunar and planetary will be brilliant. It'll be long exposure DSO it may struggle with, but I wouldn't worry about that for now.

I have an 8SE, and the older style mount wasn't really up to the job, but I hear it has improved massively with the new Evolution range.

I now use my 8SE OTA on the NEQ6 mount, which I have found to be much more suitable.

Have fun - browsing, testing and buying and half the fun with our hobby!

To be honest Vicky I think astrophotography is well beyond me at the moment, but probably like most I will want to do some eventually. I am aware of the rotation thing if using alt/azimuth and aware that eq mounts don't have that particular issue, but as of now anyway I'm not sure and undecided but leaning toward the celestron evolution 9.25 for other reasons.

Eric

Nice choice Eric and I am sure you can update it later with a wedge if you need to. ;)

Nice choice Eric and I am sure you can update it later with a wedge if you need to. ;)

Yup, you sure can Eric! Then you'll have a right set-up. Think the wedge will cost around £400 if you went for a new one, but if you do end up getting into AP it'll be well worth it.

Anyway, to start the journey into visual astronomy you really can't go wrong! Right bit if kit :)

Can feel your pockets getting lighter already he he

Yea its a nice setup Eric, i wish my budget would have stretched to the 9.25 at the time but it wasnt to be,still, its a good scope and the goto mount is easy to use imho. The wedge for them is indeed around the 400 quid mark but you wont need. You can control the scope with from the handset, or using the wifi from your phone/tablet, and it will also join a wireless network allowing it to be controlled from indoors for example, although ive not tried this yet. 

Wow! Right scope! You don't do things by half lol. Wouldn't fancy hiding the cost of that from the missus lol ;)

Well, if it is as good at Chris and Neil say the Evolution 6 is, then you will be in for a treat! :)

You'll be able to do imaging with that using shorter exposures - lunar and planetary will be brilliant. It'll be long exposure DSO it may struggle with, but I wouldn't worry about that for now.

I have an 8SE, and the older style mount wasn't really up to the job, but I hear it has improved massively with the new Evolution range.

I now use my 8SE OTA on the NEQ6 mount, which I have found to be much more suitable.

Have fun - browsing, testing and buying and half the fun with our hobby!

Yup, you sure can Eric! Then you'll have a right set-up. Think the wedge will cost around £400 if you went for a new one, but if you do end up getting into AP it'll be well worth it.

Anyway, to start the journey into visual astronomy you really can't go wrong! Right bit if kit :)

Can feel your pockets getting lighter already he he

if my wife finds out the cost I may be a bit lighter in the head as well lol

Just had a look out, Orion is well up and it's 12.43... After tonight and the clocks going back this means it's up before midnight! whoohooooo! :)

Thats what i was doing at the same time, looks lovley tonight :)

I was out at a similar time having a quick "fix" before bed. Love Orion :)

Archived