Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

i wouldnt go for that 50mm scope.

the celestron firstscope 76mm is bigger aperture and has a much better and more stable base.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes/celestron-firstscope-76mm-telescope.html

its also a bit cheaper!

Plenty of people on SGL have played about with them and the general consensus is that it punches above its weight and price would suggest,

as for last night, I had a session in the back yard with my az goto and couldnt get it to work. I think its borked. I;ve put a thread in the help section if anyone is interested.

Very frustrating as i;ve not actually 'used' it yet since i got it in July.

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the celestron firstscope 76mm is bigger aperture and has a much better and more stable base.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes/celestron-firstscope-76mm-telescope.html

its also a bit cheaper!

Plenty of people on SGL have played about with them and the general consensus is that it punches above its weight and price would suggest,

as for last night, I had a session in the back yard with my az goto and couldnt get it to work. I think its borked. I;ve put a thread in the help section if anyone is interested.

Very frustrating as i;ve not actually 'used' it yet since i got it in July.

Hope you get to the root of the problem Nick. I did think it was power as those mounts do strange things with low power but as you've tried it with mains power I don't think it that. I know it's a silly question but your lat long is correct isn't it? I'd imagine that would give it a headache if it wasnt.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

its also a bit cheaper! Plenty of people on SGL have played about with them and the general consensus is that it punches above its weight and price would suggest,  

as for last night, I had a session in the back yard with my az goto and couldnt get it to work. I think its borked. I;ve put a thread in the help section if anyone is interested. Very frustrating as i;ve not actually 'used' it yet since i got it in July.

Thanks for the advice Nick. I'll pass the information on to my friend.

Really hope you get your AZ GoTo sorted soon. Keep us posted :)

Promising forecast tonight...good chance for me to dig out the old SW 10inch f4 from the garage and give it a whirl.

Sounds good - let us know how you get on. I think I'm going to have a night at home with possibly a chance of back yard viewing if I can escape the house...... :)

Sounds good - let us know how you get on. I think I'm going to have a night at home with possibly a chance of back yard viewing if I can escape the house...... :)

Feeling quite excited...got the SW10 f4 a while back and it's been sat in the garage collecting dust! I'm hoping It will allow focus with my dslr. The moon is up so that's my target for the evening.

@Vicks...shame the moon is only visible at the front for you, otherwise you could have tried to image the moon! It's a good phase with nice crater shadows on show

Feeling quite excited...got the SW10 f4 a while back and it's been sat in the garage collecting dust! I'm hoping It will allow focus with my dslr. The moon is up so that's my target for the evening.

@Vicks...shame the moon is only visible at the front for you, otherwise you could have tried to image the moon! It's a good phase with nice crater shadows on show

Good luck G - hope you get it sorted :)

I might set-up out front to have a go at the moon - I won't get shouted at as much by Sophie then as I can keep sticking my head in to watch X-Factor lol. The things you have to suffer to keep the family happy he he ;)

I might set-up out front to have a go at the moon - I won't get shouted at as much by Sophie then as I can keep sticking my head in to watch X-Factor lol. The things you have to suffer to keep the family happy he he ;)

Sod keeping the kids happy. Why on earth would any body want to watch that RUBISH seems a good excuse to go out side and play rather then watch that

Mark

Sod keeping the kids happy. Why on earth would any body want to watch that RUBISH seems a good excuse to go out side and play rather then watch that Mark

I know that Mark - I am going to go outside with my scope tonight. Really want to go "out out", but I don't think I can escape...... :(

I might just sneak out when nobody is looking lol

Plus, we get an extra hour tonight as the clocks go back! ;)

Thanks V..

Enjoy the show and family time!

Same here Vicky says partly cloudy in Tingley if I walk 20 yards into east ardsley there's no clouds at all. How dose that work ??Mark

There is actually very light drizzle in the air at the minute, but it does look like it could clear up.

I don't think it is going to be worth heading out anywhere, but may stick the scope out in the front yard later to do a bit of lunar if it does clear enough :)

There is actually very light drizzle in the air at the minute, but it does look like it could clear up.

I don't think it is going to be worth heading out anywhere, but may stick the scope out in the front yard later to do a bit of lunar if it does clear enough :)

I'm having a nice night in tonight on the nice warm house :)

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Still clear here...

Good news..it all comes to a nice focus!

Lovely views..the rain has taken alot of the Rubbish out of the way!

Moon culminates at about 10pm I think.

Great news Gain - hope it stays clear over there for you to have a go with the DSLR on the moon!

It's getting worse and worse here - 100% black clouds over Horbury - I'll try to keep them over this way for you! ;)

Oh and excellent to get up to Todmorden last night with mark. Always amazes me! Also a great way to finish the night with a few beers and great company in huddersfield. Followed by a pineapple topped burger! ;)

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Archived