Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

Got the new 12" out for a quick 5 minute peek, seemed not too bad, though would have been better on its mount rather than me and Gain holding it and trying to point! Needs a good collimation and mirrors def need a good clean but I'm sure it will be a very good purchase once sorted out!

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got the new 12" out for a quick 5 minute peek, seemed not too bad, though would have been better on its mount rather than me and Gain holding it and trying to point! Needs a good collimation and mirrors def need a good clean but I'm sure it will be a very good purchase once sorted out!

Good few minutes of observing...

That was the first time I used a 12in f 5.3 newt on an IRISH YOKE MOUNT powered by Guinness

Not very sturdy :-)

I've just got back from the pub, did many of you get out tonight

Popped out into the back yard at around 9.30pm for a scout about as it was really clear, however it was very breezy so I knew I wouldn't have a very productive viewing session. Didn't get the scope out, so just had 10 minutes with the binos. Usual suspects - The Pleiades, double cluster, M31, general scout about the sky around Cassiopiea, Cygnus and Lyra.

Then Sophie yelled that we had missed new Big Bang Theory, so was ordered inside to watch that. Sir, yes sir!

Was a bit too breezy for any decent viewing, and as Damian said, it wasn't the best conditions.

Soupy and Gain - you two are like Laurel and Hardy lol - hope you had a good night :)

Had a few trips to look out at work and the skies looked nice and clear although it was quite breezy.

Orion looked great although we've that many flood lights around the place it's difficult to make out the pleiades!

Atmosphere didn't look very stable though as betelguise was flashing away like a disco ball!

Got up at 4 this morning with the intention of photographing Mars with the webcam. Saw how bad the atmospheric conditions were, had a quick look at Orion Nebula then went back to bed [emoji23]

One of my old Asda friends has a 6 year old daughter who is asking for a telescope for Christmas. Of course, she has asked me for advice on something to get her that A - isn't too expensive and B - isn't too big or complicated for her to use, but C - works properly as a relatively good telescope for visual use.

Wouldn't want to suggest a toy telescope as I think you can get a nice little scope that will spark her interest in astronomy.

Has anyone got any suggestions for an inexpensive starter scope for a child?

One of my old Asda friends has a 6 year old daughter who is asking for a telescope for Christmas. Of course, she has asked me for advice on something to get her that A - isn't too expensive and B - isn't too big or complicated for her to use, but C - works properly as a relatively good telescope for visual use.

Wouldn't want to suggest a toy telescope as I think you can get a nice little scope that will spark her interest in astronomy.

Soupy must have a spare one kicking around I'm sure :)

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

How about a celestron 50mm 300fl for about £50.

It comes with 2 eyepieces tripod and travel bag.

The tripod is a bit flimsy but it's a good starter scope. I have one first scope I ever got and was the first scope I saw Orion Nebula in

Mark

Archived