Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clear for me to night in Bath. Moved from Oxford today 5 but as Damian says the moon is really bright Mark

I've always wanted to go to Bath. I think it'll be a bit too far for us to go across next week, although my uncle says it is a beautiful city and well worth a visit. Some of the architecture looks stunning :)

I've always wanted to go to Bath. I think it'll be a bit too far for us to go across next week, although my uncle says it is a beautiful city and well worth a visit. Some of the architecture looks stunning :)

its the first time we've been so it's all new to us. Hope it's not as disappointing as Oxford.

Mark

You'll have a good day, but I would recommend setting off early and getting there before it gets too far into the day.

No, I didn't bring my scope in the end. I could get the 80mm frac in the car, but not the mount etc. In the end I have just brought camera, binos and tripod, plus a selection of astronomy books and magazines.

Got a great south through to west horizon from the back patio. Had a couple of metorites this evening, but the clouds have come over again, so I have brought my wine back inside. We have a patio/balcony from our bedroom on the first floor, which faces east, so I'll have to try that out next time we have a clear evening. I am in total holiday mode :)

Just got nicely back from jodrell. Had a super day, kids loved it and so did the parents :) we all loved watching the telescope moving too. The gardens there are nice too which the kids enjoyed running around in. So all in all a great day out.

Pleased to hear you've had a good day, and that you are back safe. I was going to mention that I had a photo album on my FB you could have looked at. The gardens are beautiful - did you find Eris?

We have had a fairly challenging 4 mile walk around the woodlands at Symonds Yat. Back at the cottage now, enjoying a cold beer on the patio and watching the birds of prey - might be red kites, but we are not 100% sure :)

had a great time at Spurn point, nice small very friendly campsite,  saw lots of birds no idea what they are apart from some swans in a pool on one of the nature reserves,

Skies would have been brilliant  from what I saw of them during cloud breaks.

Going back august bank holiday

Symonds yat is a lovely place on the river y. We were there last year and had a lovely day out as well. We've been to Bradford on Avon and had a lovely day out but very warm.

Glad u had a good day out at jodrell. Watching the dish move is awesome

Mark

It certainly is Mark, it was moving all day so must have seen it move 20 times in lots of different positions, so it was good to see that.

They were doing repairs on it when Vicky and I went so only got to see it move once [emoji106]

Glad you got to see it moving a lot Chris - as Mark said, when we went we only saw it move once. Hoping to go back for another visit soon though.

Haha Damian, it's funny you say that about the walk as I was comparing this afternoon's walk to our WADAS fitness walk - Luke was complaining that it had some fairly steep uphill sections, although it was all on woodland trail walkways - I said that it was a good job he hadn't come on our walk at Kielder lol. He wouldn't have made it back. Now THAT was a challenge! :)

buy a pair of trekking poles for long walks, they make a world of difference, they aint expensive, mine cost £4 each from the range

A good pair of hiking boots which are water proof are the key. Warm comfortable feet bliss

Ok back to astronomy.

A few photos from the Herschel museum. d2855b1eb55f28495bcaa729fe549895.jpgb21a3a4af4bda04eee06304152611e8c.jpgb83f1baef670501247b17ba514c4f70a.jpgd600792bdc16ca1af44d2e5c158e61d0.jpg96f04158a93748c8dc457438011ca4cf.jpgf257784c0dc407e798905e66cd44e982.jpgf6cc3e6018e2730d65302e90890e5deb.jpgddd34577459074f7c4c88188912288e5.jpgddbd886945f115f14f7c6f03feb614ae.jpg

I thought this might help you Damian. It's Herschel's mirror polishing machine

U could knock one together

dd444a8e43cb496d0ad0b66cc5f6c4dd.jpg

Bath is a lovely place very interesting and beautiful architecturally

Ps the black bag is the equivalent to our wheelie bins

Mark

Really nice Mark and thanks for posting the pics.

Puts Steve's talk into perspective now seeing all those bits together.

The mirror polishing machine looks great although I think things have moved on a little but nice to see how it all started.

Great stuff and a true genius

Damian

It's only a small Museum but very interesting non the less.

He discovered Uranus from his back garden which is not that big but south facing.

I estimate its SE-SW so not a lot of sky to work in but most of there discoveries were done from the garden

Mark

Archived