Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

Nice one Mark... Seems all the early astronomers had small places and parts of sky to work with. The Newton house is also quite small but well worth a visit.

Mind you the areas have changed lots in the past few hundred years. :)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not looking too bad for north Devon either to be honest.

Mark

Nope, its a clear forecast for Barnstaple if thats near you. Im tempted to drive over to Dunford bridge tonight but I will see how I feel. just had 2 days off work with a dreadful virus that left me tired all day and a headache. better today though so I shall see

Nope, its a clear forecast for Barnstaple if thats near you. Im tempted to drive over to Dunford bridge tonight but I will see how I feel. just had 2 days off work with a dreadful virus that left me tired all day and a headache. better today though so I shall see

2 miles from Ilfracombe so not a bad guess. Hope ur felling better soon a night out stargazing might do u good

Mark

2 miles from Ilfracombe so not a bad guess. Hope ur felling better soon a night out stargazing might do u good

Mark

Cheers Mark, went back to work today and I do feel tons better. If youre rusty with the stars maybe take a star chart book with you if you have one, and do some star hoping around. im sure it will all come back to you quickly.

old map from 200 here of light pollution in devon,  http://www.stacks-devonandsomerset.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Light-pollution-of-the-SW-peninsula.jpg

The forecast for our part of Yorkshire for the next few nights after tonight is for lots of cloud as far as I can tell. maybe some clearing skies for the middle of next week, so fingers crossed for the perseids.

Hopefully so Chris. Having a day at Cardiff today, and just been to The Doctor Who Experience, which was great. Just about to sit down outside a cafe and a seagull has just pooed all over my Canon camera! Seriously, went SPLAT! All over the control wheel and gone right inside and underneath. Got the worst off, but it'll be a trip to the camera shop next week to see if they can strip it and clean it. Of all the chances! Not happy lol :(

Hope you can get it sorted Vicky! Doesn't sound good!

Must check forecast for here tonight, I need some clear skies and something to do as Dawn broke the telly today :(

hope you all get some clear skies.

I have been busy the last week or so, check out this web link ;)

http://www.livingnorth.com/yorkshire/arts-whats/seeing-stars

Some free advertising for us :)

Hope you can get it sorted Vicky! Doesn't sound good!

Must check forecast for here tonight, I need some clear skies and something to do as Dawn broke the telly today :(

hope you all get some clear skies.

I have been busy the last week or so, check out this web link ;)

http://www.livingnorth.com/yorkshire/arts-whats/seeing-stars

Some free advertising for us :)

Nice advert Paul!! good job

Nice little article Soupy. It only took 20 minutes to load it on my phone lol. Well done, and a great advert for our wonderful society!

I have insurance for my camera, so I need to check the policy. Surely, that is accidental damage at it's best! I'm hoping it'll be ok to keep using this week. Hoping to set it up this evening if it's clear. I'll take it in for them to strip and clea next week, and hopefully the insurance will cover it. Just couldn't believe it - I'd rather it hit my head to be honest! Oh well, such is life lol :)

Great write up Soupy. Liked reading that lots.

I forgot to post but as I was off to bed last night I caught an early Persied falling vertically in line with Emley Moor mast was really bright and a proper stunning sight.

Tonight looks fantastic shame I don't have a decent scope to take it all in.

I'll have a quick peruse just before putting my head down

Damian

I might have a drive out somewhere to get some dark skies tonight

I would've too but beer has won. I won't miss a night like this in future once the scope is finished as these are the stuff of true star gazing.

I too was living in hope with clearing skies earlier now it is high patchy cloud only just spotted Vega between the gaps but nothing else, so beer has won me as well... Also need to get the 12" sorted out up here as well :)

Archived