WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

Such a fab time Vicky...your 110 is truly a special one..i've used countless Apos and can vouch for the exceptional quality. You have a good one!

It was good using both scopes throughout the night!

It's a very special scope, and one I'll treasure for many years to come. It certainly had it's admirers this weekend :)

Had such a packed viewing night I didn't even get the DSLR out of the car!

Definitely a weekend I'll remember for a very long time.

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guess what? Ursula's back!

Wow! What a weekend. Had an amazing 48 hours at Kelling Heath mini star party.

Think Gain has just about summed it all up - had 8 1/2 hours of solid viewing on Friday evening from 5.30pm to 2.00am. For those not on FB, I have put my viewing list below. Bagged 13 new Messiers to bring my total to 29/110. Uranus looked absolutely stunning in the WO110 - I showed some of my fellow astronomers Uranus and I received several comments on the sharpness and colour the scope gives. It is a beautiful scope and a pleasure the view through. I managed to split a few very tight multiple star systems (as detailed in my report) despite the gusty wind.

I also had the privilege of having several views through Gains 24" dob - what a scope! Could see the spiral arms and pinkish hue of M33, and I could even see the nebula within M33. Gain teased me by telling he I was viewing M31 The Andromeda Galacy at one point, and I could clearly see the bright centre and elliptical shape - imagine my surprise when he told me it was M110! It's truly incredible.

Unfortunately, we had rain and cloud all day and night on Saturday, so we had a drive out in the afternoon and Gain showed me around the area - even managed a sneaky coffee and slice of home made lemon meringue pie in a lovely little cafe come book/antique shop. What else could we do on Saturday night, but to spend a few hours in the pub with good company and good beer. It was nice to meet people from other clubs and societies. However, the conversation was often far from Astro related lol.

Got the Kelling Heath bug and have already booked my pitch for the September 2016 starparty - can't wait!

Anyway, here's my very scribbled viewing report from Friday night:

image.jpg

Had another read through your notes Vicky and it was a couple of productive nights for you both. You hit lots of targets and G finally got the scope working OK. Must ask him about that.

Looking forward to some cool weather which is coming in now the scope is nearing completion so should be really good for viewing. We might finally get some great nights.

Damian

Had another read through your notes Vicky and it was a couple of productive nights for you both. You hit lots of targets and G finally got the scope working OK. Must ask him about that.

Looking forward to some cool weather which is coming in now the scope is nearing completion so should be really good for viewing. We might finally get some great nights.

Damian

Fingers crossed Damian fingers crossed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking forward to some cool weather which is coming in now the scope is nearing completion so should be really good for viewing. We might finally get some great nights. Damian

That actually means a lot to hear that you had another read through my notes, although they were very scribbled. It was a brilliant 8 1/2 hour viewing session. As I'd had such a great night on Friday I wasn't too upset about not being able to get out viewing on Saturday night. Gave me opportunity to meet some of the Kelling "gang". As Gain said, I think I crammed the complete Kelling starparty experience into 48 hours!

Your scope will soon start to come together now Damian and it'll be awesome! The views through it will be incredible, as well as it being a work of art in itself.

Looking forward to us getting out together for some serious viewing sessions this season. Let's hope we have a good one! :)

Yup, Gains 24" is running really well. Think there are a few little tweaks and finishing touches to sort. But there probably always is with such a scope! Always something to fiddle with. Tinkering is half the hobby lol.

Damian - note that I finally bagged M101! It was as plain as day, the sky was so clear and dark. Was thrilled to finally get that one as it was fast becoming my nemesis lol

Uranus was another highlight of the evening - tiny even in the 4mm EP, however the blueness of the little disc was clearly apparent.

One other stand out view was M81 and M82 together in the same FOV, and I couldn't believe how clear they were.

Will remember that night for many years to come :)

Lovely job as usual Gain - your "quick bit of fun" turn into images most would only dream of achieving lol - love The Pleiades, you've captured some great nebulosity there.

Just looking at those other galaxies within the image of M101 - kind of blows your mind a bit really.

So pleased I saw that one this weekend, as well as a quick glimpse of M51 before it was taken by the high cloud - my last target achieved that night :)

By the looks of where the scope is pointing I'd guess that the Eskimo neb was a likely target?

Think I was near the Cone Nebula (cluster) at that time on my way to Orion...

M42 was breathtaking and F star in the Trapezium was a doddle when the wind dropped.

Excellent stuff Gain. The pictures from the GoPro looked great just on preview - the colours are fab - did you put them into a time lapse sequence?

I'll try to get round to it at some point but I didn't really get the required frames before the battery expired. Will definitely try for another vid this season?

Archived