Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

Hi Vicky, been really clear here in Ossett for well over an hour now both North & east skies not bad at all despite the moon. Eric

Good job on sorting the laptop out Eric - I wouldn't have known where to start lol

Definitely looking clear outside - think I'll escape into the back yard for half an hour :)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Windows 8.1 is not easy to reformat and load without discs it's a messing about job for sure, Xp & 7 are easy, win 10 is a very intrusive OS tailored to meet your personal surfing habits according to Microsoft, collecting tons of info on you, for so called Marketing purposes !!!!

Well, had half an hour having a play with the Star Adventurer and the DSLR. Done a few images of M45 The Pleiades, but there is way too much moon light and LP out there tonight for anything productive. Still good to get out and have a play though :)

Was nice just to get in the back yard and have a bit of fresh air.

Windows 8.1 is not easy to reformat and load without discs it's a messing about job for sure, Xp & 7 are easy, win 10 is a very intrusive OS tailored to meet your personal surfing habits according to Microsoft, collecting tons of info on you, for so called Marketing purposes !!!!

Yep, and most of the windows 10 calling home can't be turned off, I have it on my laptop and is been running fine so far, I'm just waiting for people at work to start asking for it and I'll have to decide if I'll let them, or I might just keep them on win 7 :)

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Well, had half an hour having a play with the Star Adventurer and the DSLR. Done a few images of M45 The Pleiades, but there is way too much moon light and LP out there tonight for anything productive. Still good to get out and have a play though :)

Was nice just to get in the back yard and have a bit of fresh air.[/quote

Well that's a coincidence I too was try to image m45 with the dslr on the telescope

And like you said too much moon light

Neil

Well, here's the product of my little session last night. Too much moonlight and LP to allow the necessary exposure settings to bring out the detail, but on a positive note I must have done a better job at polar aligning the Star Adventurer as there isn't any trailing evident. So, the night wasn't a total loss :)

post-39306-0-23452900-1448266529_thumb.j

I'm still alive guys just incase you see wondering [emoji5] I'm in dire need of a night out, it seems like forever since we've made it up to winscarr. I've just been restructuring my working hours and role at work lately, so should be able to make the next opportunity to come out with the group.

The skies were lovely last night even under the such a bright moon. Just a gander from my front door naked eye, Orion is coming up nice and early now so fingers crossed there's going to be a few opportunities to try and image m42 again soon [emoji6]

I hope you're all well and enjoying this lovely cold weather lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes the weather has not really been forgiving for the viewing sessions.

Hopefully the worst is behind us and we can get out. I have quite a few trips out planned and Sutton bank and Hawes are on the list.

Damian

Regarding Fireball I saw, just found this report on internet.

Date:22.11.2015 Time: 20:30hrs

Streak Yellow/white colour, the streak increased and then disintegrated, lasted around 1-2 seconds no sound heard, Woodlesford

lat:53.754862 long: -1.441827

Altitude: 26 meters facing direction NE Fireball travelling from East through to North, R to L from my position, pieces falling off before disappearing.

It travelled approx. quarter of the sky. maybe less.

Bright as a firework Rocket exploding.

(Definitely the one I saw, although I think it maybe  lasted a second or two longer than in this report.)

Eric

Found that it has been logged as an event, but can't seem to find any videos or images other than a naff one on YouTube that may or may not be it.

This is the link to the American Meteor Society who have it logged as event 3593-2015:

http://www.amsmeteors.org/fireball_event

This is the only "visual" I can find, but it isn't very good and may not be the right one:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mJMKTk6JKIA

Anyway, time for work :)

When was the last clear night we had to get up to winscar?

Well, apart from Sunday 1st November when myself and Mark went for a couple of hours despite the surrounding fog, I can't remember the time before that.

Was it when me, you and Mark were the "little frac gang", or did we meet again after that?

I'd have to look at my observing log book when I get home - that'll tell me ;)

I think it could have been as far back as September when I last went to Winscar, apart from the foggy Sunday with Mark.

Looks like it's predicted clear tonight from 9pm for me - which is typical since we're off to see Bill Bailey tonight :)

There's apparently a sketch about the Northern Lights in it.

Have a good one Matt - he'll be worth seeing.

Hope it is clear this evening. Might fancy a run out if it looks clear down Winscar, and if anyone else is up for it :)

I think you're right Vicky apart from the fog night the last time I remember is you Damian and me being up there.

Sorry I carnt make it tonight work won't let me.

I won't be at the quiz next Thursday me and the wife are off for some alone time for the week I think it's deserved after what she's Been through.

I will be going to the Christmas curry though so put me down for it please Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The last time I went to Winscar, prior to Sunday 1st November, was on Saturday 5th September and it was the "frac gang" of myself, Damian and Mark.

In fact, my next viewing log after that one was Saturday 12th September when I used the little frac in the back yard.

No viewing at all throughout October, with the next one being 1st November.

How rubbish is that?

Need to get back down to Winscar as soon as we can, and without the bright moon ideally.

Mark - Hope you have a nice time away with Adele, you both deserve a break - is it this Thursday that you are having your op? Hope all goes well. Terry went back today on admin duties only, which he has to do for 2 weeks and then he'll be reassessed - he's got the consultant tomorrow afternoon, so he may know then what the plan will be with regards to whether or not they'll re-operate.

Got a print done at Asda of my Pillars of Creation pastel sketch - just in a 8x10 frame to see what it would come out like. My mate wanted one for when she gets her house. The colours have come out really bright. Quite pleased with it. Hope she'll like it. I'll find another home for it if she doesn't lol ;)

post-39306-0-17174800-1448390158_thumb.j

Archived