Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi from London...the best skies for anyone scared of the dark

tdyal

Hi Guys, I was trying to join this and I kept coming up with eamil already used, then I realised I had joined months ago...

So here is my belated first post and a big HI from from exotic Peckham, London :)

Since my teens I have loved watching everything on TV to do with "outa space" and future tech including my regular "visits" to Grandpa Patrick Moore's house every month  (I miss going to "grandpa"'s house   :(  ).  However, I have only started this hobby in a practical way since January.  It was then that I decided to defy the odds of living in the heaviest light polluted city of London, having no car and no garden, to splash out on my first telescope, a celestron Nexstar 8SE (Alt-az, GOTO, 8" CST).  Despite my circumstances, I love it and even in this town, I have discovered striving enthusiasts, communities and stargaze events.  Now, the only time I get to use my scope properly is by going to these group stargazing sessions or sneaking it to my sports club football field when its not in use.  I bought a sturdy expedition type rucksack which holds the whole system so that I can carry on bus and train. 

This year I have had a great time attending several astronomical events.  Two Astrocamps in Breacon Beacon in Wales (wow, first time I ever saw the Milky Way and was "lost" among the stars), Astrofest (the lectures were superb, but man, does it do damage to my bank balance), monthly Flamsteed stargaze events and lectures, monthly Baker Street Irregular stargaze at Regents Park.  And of course to see so many cosmic wonders for the first time.

But now I have the astrophotography bug.  With my 8SE and DSLR, I love photographing Jupiter, the Sun, and the moon.   Here are 7 of my "best" astro images.

I am particularly chuffed with getting a snap of that plane "orbiting" the Sun and with sunspots and a lovely jet stream trail right through the centre.  I think I am so lucky to capture that being a beginner

But a burning desire is running through me to photograph DSOs and I of course cannot do that with an alt-az mount.

SO I bought a new system, a HEQ5 Pro Synscan, an Equinox 80ED refractor, Starshoot autoguider package, EQmod (cant remember what this is for, lol) all from First Light Optics which I see is the sponsor for this forum.

So first things first, I gotta learn to precise polar align...time to scour the threads for pointers :)

Tej

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hiya Tej and welcome to SGL. This is the place to be as your begin your DSO photography journey. The HEQ5 and an ED80 is a reliable and well considered starting point. I look forward to your DSO images, that's my bag as well. It's great when it goes right!!!

Thank you guys, you really are such a welcoming bunch!

Hiya Tej and welcome to SGL. This is the place to be as your begin your DSO photography journey. The HEQ5 and an ED80 is a reliable and well considered starting point. I look forward to your DSO images, that's my bag as well. It's great when it goes right!!!

The HEQ5 pro will be my only point for a very long time because its the maximum weight I can log around on public transport.  Glad it gets your approval though!  It will also be difficult to get super images in London but I might even make it a mission to prove you can do astroimaging in Peckham :)

Archived